You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher and Photo personas (Mr)

Hello all - just bought Affinity Publisher. In Affinity Photo there is the Develop Persona, Export Persona, etc. In Publisher, "Photo" takes on the title of a persona, but where do I access the "Photo" personas within Photo in Publisher? 

When I open Photo in its standalone form I can access it, but in the top left of Publisher the option for Photo persona -> Develop persona is not obvious. 

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Mr. Publisher said:

When I open Photo in its standalone form I can access it, but in the top left of Publisher the option for Photo persona -> Develop persona is not obvious. 

There are limitations in the Publisher versions of the Photo and Designer personas. This is one of them. There are no copies of the various Personas.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @Mr. Publisher.

Publisher's StudioLink functions provide the main Personas (Photo, Designer) of the Photo and Designer applications, as Old Bruce indicated. These are the Personas most needed for desktop publishing. For functions provided by the other Personas from the standalone applications, you can either:

• Run the standalone application to start with; or
  • Transfer your Publisher file to the standalone application using File > Edit in Photo or File > Edit in Designer. Then you can easily get back to Publisher if you need to, by using File > Edit in Publisher from the standalone app.

Serif has given no hint that they plan to add the other Personas, and it would make the Publisher interface more crowded and confusing. Serif tends to try to keep the applications functionally separated and tailored toward specific functions.

By the way, a forum usage hint: When creating the topic, the "Title" field is for a meaningful short description of what you're posting about. E.g., for this one, something like "Are the other Personas from Photo available in Publisher?" would be a good choice. (And, if you want, you can edit your first post in this topic and change the title. That will help other users, and help get you better answers.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Publisher's StudioLink functions provide the main Personas (Photo, Designer) of the Photo and Designer applications, as Old Bruce indicated.

Note that the Photo Persona in Publisher lacks a few items that are available in Photo's Photo Persona, including the File > Merge, Batch, & Panorama items & Filters > Plugins.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I'm also disappointed at this reduction of functionality when switching between the main personas of publisher/designer/photo.  Why wouldn't you want the full range of functions readily available in each persona? Both Photo and Designer seem to lack their own, specific and significant range of personas when accessed in this way.  Using the 'Edit in' method works ok, but it doesn't give the smooth switch promised by installing the suite of programs.  I can't see that moving into each persona with its own range of functions is going to clutter the screen any more than working with each program as a standalone.  I also suggest that it would be an advantage for users if the help file was specific to the persona you are in when working with the 'publisher suite' - it doesn't matter what persona you are in you only get 'publisher help' .  To get help on Photo and Designer it seems that you have to load the standalone versions to access their help file, or refer to a downloaded manual with both methods detracting from a smooth workflow.

I wish this to be taken as constructive criticism, albeit strongly felt, as there is so much to appreciate in all three programs.