You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher's difficult way of handling the text copied into website 1.8.3

•  
  •  
  • Members
  • 20 posts

This is not a bug but rather a error in the design or a missing feature. Not sure but i will share this as it will save people alot of time if it's implemented.
And there are actually two bugs here:

1. That the information when copied to the website will not have line breaks or paragraph breaks making the text go into one continiues flow.
2. That all information did not get copied from Publisher to Word.

Example of problem nr 1
I take this info from my book: 
"n Gen 12:10 ץראב  בערה דבכ יכ םש רוגל המירצמ םרבא דריו ץראב בער יהיו we see:
verse order =
309 “three hundred and sixty degrees” (Eng ord) = “Codes of God” (Eng sta)
- Nr.W = 12 “and” ו (Fs) --- Nr.L = 44 “God” לא (o+s) --- Nr.W + Nr.L = 56 “created” (E o)
TV = 2649 “three hundred and sixty degrees” (Eng sta) = 3X 883 (83 “wisdom” (E o))

= (459 = Tri(17 “Seven”) + Tri(17 “Seven” επτα (r)) + Tri(17 “Seven”) = 400 + Pri(18 “riddle” (H r))) + TV of Vs(31415" 

And when i copy it into Visual Studio Code and it does not get paragraph brakes. It goes in 1 line, and not 5 lines like above. 
This goes for when you copy info from Publisher to a websitebuilder/coding program in general. 

Temporary fix for problem nr 1: Just copy the text into Microsoft Word 2016 (not tested 2019) and it will show with 5 lines when you copy and paste from Word to websitebuilder/coding program.

Example of problem nr 2
I take this info:
- bla bla bla
- bla bla bla
- bla bla bla
- bla bla bla
- bla bla bla
- bla bla bla
- bla bla bla
- bla bla bla
- bla bla bla
- bla bla bla
- bla bla bla

And copy paste into Word 2016 and get this:
- bla bla bla
bla bla bla
bla bla bla
bla bla bla
bla bla bla
bla bla bla
bla bla bla
bla bla bla
bla bla bla
bla bla bla
bla bla bla

So the minus or hyphen symbol "-" get's bugged. 

1 hour ago, Desmild said:

1. That the information when copied to the website will not have line breaks or paragraph breaks making the text go into one continiues flow.

If I understand you, and from my own tests:

• when copying text from Publisher to a text editor, there's a bug and paragraph break disappear, replaced by invisible but unreconized characters.
  • when pasting to a word processor, the paragraph breaks are reconized.

It's a bug, they should be reconized.

For the second problem, are the hyphens real text or is it a list that automatically apply the "-"? In this last case, it's possible Words and such apps don't reconize the text style as a list.

I write this with Arial font in APublisher with the Text tool:
"- bla bla bla
- bla bla bla
- bla bla bla
- bla bla bla
- bla bla bla"

probably with what you call "real text" not really sure because i am not so technically updated here. But i wrote the "-" symbols using my keyboard.

And i paste this in Word 2016 and get this:
"- bla bla bla
bla bla bla
bla bla bla
bla bla bla
bla bla bla"

4 lines misses the "-" symbol. And It was never ment to be a generated list, just a simple copy and paste.

7 minutes ago, Wosven said:

when copying text from Publisher to a text editor, there's a bug and paragraph break disappear, replaced by invisible but unreconized characters.

Depending on your text editor they may be visible, but probably not usable. If your text editor supports Paste Special take a look at what's available that might work better. For example, on Windows, after I copy text from Publisher the clipboard has the following formats:

image.png.8b8549e1eb181c677867f7235561eb39.png

If your editor supports RTF it will probably use Rich Text Format and things will look good.

If it only supports Text, you will get some garbage characters.

If it supports Unicode Text Format you may get some garbage characters, or you may get a good result.

Really, only editors or programs that support RTF will get it completely right.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you for the info Walt.farrell. Do you have any suggestion of a good RTF/Rich Text Format editor than can be used here ? Tired to find it in Word 2016 to no success. 
It saves a Incredible amount of time using that as a bridge to copy from Your Affinity book/Project into websites. 

"Real text" was typed text, we understand each other :)

Technically, you shouldn't use the hyphen for list (it's only for hyphenation), but longer ones, that's perhaps why Words/Libre office don't understand hyphen at the beginning of a sentence, and perhaps delete them…

If you use – (–) for lists, they'll be reconized (or — (—) for discussions, as we do in French).

[edit]

They are reconized in a text editor, but we go back to problem 1, with no paragraph breaks.

[/edit]

Well that is too bad because i have made a lot of work using that. And i need that Space. Since using bullet-points takes more Space. 
It also goes alot faster for me using this symbol "-" for Points. My book will have thousands of them. And my brain and fingers is wired to use it now.  

My book is very unique since it deals With Numerical Bible codes. There are very very few books that has info like that. So i kind of have to break the rules many times in my book. I Explore New Territory you might say. It requires unique ways.

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Depending on your text editor they may be visible, but probably not usable.

That's the problem if they don't use standard characters, and we shouldn't spend time correcting what is usually a simple task.

Perhaps they need to convert them to standard characters when copied (and convert back when past again in an Affinity app), but it would be transparent for the user: no problem. Like this, it is only a bug.

14 minutes ago, Desmild said:

Do you have any suggestion of a good RTF/Rich Text Format editor than can be used here ?

You might try LibreOffice.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

34 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You might try LibreOffice.

Tried LibeOffice now. And pasted as Rich Text and it fails do a degree.
I upladed a picture of a example of decoding a verse from my APub file.

It comes out as this in LibeOffice:

In Gen 12:10 ץראב בערה דבכ יכ םש רוגל המירצמ םרבא דריו ץראב בער יהיו we see:
verse order = 309 “three hundred and sixty degrees” (Eng ord) = “Codes of God” (Eng sta)
- Nr.W = 12 “and” ו (Fs) --- Nr.L = 44 “God” לא (o+s) --- Nr.W + Nr.L = 56 “created” (E o)
TV = 2649 “three hundred and sixty degrees” (Eng sta) = 3X 883 (83 “wisdom” (E o))
= (459 = Tri(17 “Seven”) + Tri(17 “Seven” επτα (r)) + Tri(17 “Seven”) = 400 + Pri(18 “riddle” (H r))) + TV of Vs(31415 (π) by rot.)
= 1872 “The Golden Ratio” (4 basic) + 777 = 1012 (112 “Alpha” אפלא) + TV of Vs(1618 (φ))
- FLL = 96 “knowledge” (E o) --- CL = 210 “Seven Seven Seven “ (E ro) --- FLCL = 306 = 2X Tri(17) --- 2X17 = 34 “Alpha” (G o)
- L. surr. CL = 130 “Inverse Alpha” (E o) = (r) Αλφα “Alpha” 10 X 13 “Alpha” אפלא (r)
FLW = 324 = Perimeter of Tri(37) + Perimeter of Tri(73) --- 37+73 = 110 “Alpha” (E s)
CW = 624 “codes from God” (E r+o+s)
- FLCW = 100X9 “and” δε + 48 “Seven Seven Seven” תעבש תעבש תעבש (r)
- W. surr. CW = 500 + 83 “wisdom” (E o)
2 FLW = 800 + 73 “wisdom” (H s)
- 4 CW = 1000 + 207 “The Seal of God” (E ro)
- 2 FLW + 4 CW = 2080 = Tri(64 “wisdom” σοφια (o) = “Riddles of Wisdom” המכח הדיח (o))
- 2 W. surr. CW = 833 = 83 “wisdom” (E o) w. ext...
- FLL + FLW = 420 “Crowned” ריטעמ (r+o+s)
- CL + CW = 800 + 34 “Alpha” Αλφα (o)
- FLCL + FLCW = 1254 “of God” του Θεού
- L. surr. CL + W. surr. CW = 713 “wisdom” (E s) = All primes added up to number 73 “wisdom” (H s)
- W.nr 314 by rot. = 272 = 27 “Riddles” (H s) merged with mirror = Palin(37 “of Wisdom” (H o))

hyphen  misses here. Which are on the:
Verse order, TV, FLW, CW & 2 FLW.  

Test.png

If you're on Windows, you can use the glyphes panel to enter those characters, or holding the "Alt" key while typing on the numeric pad 0150 (for en-dash, half-cadratin ) or 0151 (em-dash, cadratin ). On OS X: Opt+Shift+- or Opt+-.

For using  regular expressions in the Search and Replace panel, you need to set it to regular expressions

2020-04-17_232308.png.087d619f58dcc99562838400025ab9c6.png

This means than using some characters while searching will search specific patterns. For example:

• using a ^ (circumflex) at the begining of the expression* you are searching, means "beginning of a sentence".
  • using a $ (dollar) at the end of the expression* you are searching, means "end of a sentence".

A sentence is a paragraph, or all the text to a line break.

Since we want hyphen at the beginning of sentences, we'll search :

^-

And we'll replace with:

No specific character needed in the replace field, but the ones you want to replace with.
You can also replace with " -" (for adding a space before the hyphen), "" or "" or "" (a bullet, Alt+0149). You can copy the characters from the forum.

* expression is a term to encompass everything in the find or replace field.

Thank you very much Wosven. It fixed the issue.
It pastes as this in both Word & LibeOffice now:

In Gen 12:10 ץראב בערה דבכ יכ םש רוגל המירצמ םרבא דריו ץראב בער יהיו we see:
– verse order = 309 “three hundred and sixty degrees” (Eng ord) = “Codes of God” (Eng sta)
– Nr.W = 12 “and” ו (Fs) --- Nr.L = 44 “God” לא (o+s) --- Nr.W + Nr.L = 56 “created” (E o)
– TV = 2649 “three hundred and sixty degrees” (Eng sta) = 3X 883 (83 “wisdom” (E o))
= (459 = Tri(17 “Seven”) + Tri(17 “Seven” επτα (r)) + Tri(17 “Seven”) = 400 + Pri(18 “riddle” (H r))) + TV of Vs(31415 (π) by rot.)
= 1872 “The Golden Ratio” (4 basic) + 777 = 1012 (112 “Alpha” אפלא) + TV of Vs(1618 (φ))
– FLL = 96 “knowledge” (E o) --- CL = 210 “Seven Seven Seven “ (E ro) --- FLCL = 306 = 2X Tri(17) --- 2X17 = 34 “Alpha” (G o)
– L. surr. CL = 130 “Inverse Alpha” (E o) = (r) Αλφα “Alpha” 10 X 13 “Alpha” אפלא (r)
– FLW = 324 = Perimeter of Tri(37) + Perimeter of Tri(73) --- 37+73 = 110 “Alpha” (E s)
– CW = 624 “codes from God” (E r+o+s)
– FLCW = 100X9 “and” δε + 48 “Seven Seven Seven” תעבש תעבש תעבש (r)
– W. surr. CW = 500 + 83 “wisdom” (E o)
2 FLW = 800 + 73 “wisdom” (H s)
– 4 CW = 1000 + 207 “The Seal of God” (E ro)
– 2 FLW + 4 CW = 2080 = Tri(64 “wisdom” σοφια (o) = “Riddles of Wisdom” המכח הדיח (o))
– 2 W. surr. CW = 833 = 83 “wisdom” (E o) w. ext...
– FLL + FLW = 420 “Crowned” ריטעמ (r+o+s)
– CL + CW = 800 + 34 “Alpha” Αλφα (o)
– FLCL + FLCW = 1254 “of God” του Θεού
– L. surr. CL + W. surr. CW = 713 “wisdom” (E s) = All primes added up to number 73 “wisdom” (H s)
– W.nr 314 by rot. = 272 = 27 “Riddles” (H s) merged with mirror = Palin(37 “of Wisdom” (H o))

I will definitly use the longer ones from now on. It's good we have the find and replace function so it becomes no hassle of changing them.