You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[color] Help, whats wrong with the hex colors?

I'm pretty confused right now. I started a pretty big UI project a few days ago and I'm pretty far along. I'm just looking at the colors that I defined as Global Colors in the color palette (annoying that sometimes the choosed color is selected and sometimes not) and don't know what's going on anymore, depending on the color palette I have DIFFERENT hex values? WHAT? which logic did i miss?

I have created and named some colors and all of them have different values ....

OK GOT IT, one is Hex the other RBG but why it looks so similar, very confusing 😳

Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-17 um 17.57.16.jpg

9 minutes ago, anon2 said:

#208EC0 in sRGB is the same colour as #548DBD in Adobe RGB.

I curious: is there a simply way to know that?

Also, I noticed that the screenshot shows #548DB rather than #548DBD, which seems a bit odd.

Thanks.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Also, I noticed that the screenshot shows #548DB rather than #548DBD, which seems a bit odd.

On my Mac, I can reproduce that if in Preferences > User Interface I set Font UI Size to "Large" & UI Style to "Light."

If instead I set the UI Style to "Dark" with the "Large" UI setting, I see the "D" slightly truncated, so it appears like a squared off capital "C."

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

13 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I curious: is there a simply way to know that?

In an sRGB document, give an object #208EC0 fill colour. Now convert the document to Adobe RGB (do not simply assign the new profile) and inspect the object's fill to find it has been changed to #548DBD.

Anon, you're right, I changed the profile in between when I exported the document for the style guide, because there were big problems with the export of transparencies and then the screen project was exported as CMYK (because of PDFx3), the colors were not correct (fortunately I had found a RGB print profile, but too late). So I tried to solve the problem in the document settings via the profile. If I had known (there was no message like: The color values change irrevocably to web-safe colors) which is the consequence, I would have left it, I had to reset all colors for 2 hours, because they were partially changed (not web-safe) and other colors that were web-safe remained the same. In addition, two different values within one color confused me completely (like in the screenshot). Since I have problems with the colors in Affinity Designer, I created the Global Colors first. Who of you knew that sRGB and AdobeRGB have different color values? in one document for one color? 😰

Another problem, I set the default color palette for RGB projects to system hex and for print to my custom CMYK palette, but the setting as not applied. When I open a new document a custom program color table is always active. This is annoying too.

7 hours ago, 3joern said:

Who of you knew that sRGB and AdobeRGB have different color values?

I, and many members of this forum, already knew that a given colour has different numerical values in different colour spaces (and, conversely, a given numerical value in different colour spaces produces different colours). That's why I compared the values of your blue in sRGB and Adobe RGB.

7 hours ago, 3joern said:

in one document for one color? 😰

I don't blame you for finding that confusing. An object fill has a colour definition used for rendering the fill and, apparently, that can become out of sync with the definition of a Global Colour that is associated with the object fill.

One hypothesis is that an object's fill has a colour definition used for rendering the fill and an optional reference to a Global Colour (which itself has a colour definition, of course), not just one or the other at a given moment. When the user assigns a Global Colour to a fill, the fill would store a reference to the Global Colour and copy the definition of the Global Colour to its colour definition.

An alternative hypothesis is that an object fill has a colour definition for rendering the fill and never stores a reference to a Global Colour. Instead, a Global Colour (which itself has a colour definition, of course) would be associated with a collection of references to object fills. When the user assigns a Global Colour to a fill, a reference to that fill would be added to the said collection and the Global Colour's definition would be copied to the fill's colour definition. Editing a Global Colour would result in each referenced fill having its colour definition replaced with a copy of the Global Colour's new definition.

An Affinity Palette does not contain a colour mode and profile with which the app can interpret colour appearance from the numerical definitions of the swatches in the palette. When a document is converted to another colour space, a Global Colour's numerical definition does not change to preserve its appearance, but a fill's numerical colour definition is changed to preserve appearance.

Colour swatches and their editor are a nightmare in current Affinity apps.

When you open the swatch editor, its controls cannot be relied on to inform you of the mode of the swatch's colour definition before you start manipulating the controls and change the definition. Instead, the controls initially appear in whatever mode they were in when you last edited any swatch in any document.

If you select an object whose fill has not been assigned a Global Colour, but the fill's colour definition happens to match a Global Colour's definition, then the Global Colour swatch will be misleadingly highlighted in the Swatches panel and the Colour panel will incorrectly be in Tint mode and contain the Global Colour.

Additional problems start appearing if you convert a document to another colour profile. Selecting an object whose fill has been assigned a Global Colour will no longer result in that Global Colour swatch becoming highlighted in Swatches panel because the fill's colour definition no longer matches the Global Colour's definition. Or you might find the wrong Global Colour being highlighted because the fill's colour definition has changed to values that happen to match a different Global Colour's definition. Further, if you now assign a Global Colour to an object's fill, then that fill's colour definition will be given the numerical values from the Global Colour and the fill will appear different to fills that were assigned that Global Colour before the document conversion and which now have different numerical values in their colour definition as a result of the conversion.

Edited by anon2
Largely rewritten to accomodate a second hypothesis