You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

If the Character leading override is set to auto (modify your paragraph styles so it's consistent), as previously said, you only need to select a frame, and adjust size and leading without selecting the text.

Or, another option is to set your vertical aligment to justify and play with the height of your frame depending of your needs.

And yet another option is to define one or more custom headline text styles, which might be useful to assist in maintaining stylistic consistency, particularly if you need only a few of them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

And yet another option is to define one or more custom headline text styles

In his case, it's more about particular cases, and there are certainly enough styles as usually in a newspaper without adding more for 1pt difference in the leading height or/and text size. Too many possibilities: in the end, instead of searching between 354 styles which one is appropriate, you use the basic one and modify it manually.

12 minutes ago, Wosven said:

In his case, it's more about particular cases, and there are certainly enough styles as usually in a newspaper...

But how many different headline styles are typical used in a newspaper? Besides, it is easy to add a change to a styled headline or any other part of the text.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 minutes ago, R C-R said:

how many different headline styles are typical

You can have few of them depending of the size of the text and the number of lines used, knowing the max is 3 lines, the bigger size the best too.

You'll have big titles (headers) for mains articles, other for secondary titles, titles for news, for framed text, etc. And all of them can be different if you need them in different colours or fonts, different decorations for different headers  (rubriques in French, = parts), special folder (?*), investigation, etc. of the newspaper.

The more you get styles, the more difficult it is to find them if you don't work on the same document each day, but different ones. And Not being able to have real groups (folders) to organize styles in APub is a problem for this.

* Difficult to translate technical terms… I need a primer for those :D.

I'm not fond of assets, unless to use them in Designer or being the only one needing them.

If you need to give some work to someone else, you shouldn't forget to give assets if items are stocked there. And if you need to export them for this intent, they need to be updated each time you make a modification.

I work in a team, and there's always something we forget to do. Not intentionaly, but it's difficult to avoid errors. If needed, I put extra items on a master page, and this way I can add helpfull advices/tips. If the text styles are modified, that won't be a problem. I'm not sure how it'll be using assets.

• 1 month later...

Quite obvious that this feature /toolbar in Adobe inDesign is designed using input from real human beings and real world scenarios among customers. Not theory.

UX is not UI: The differences between the two. - Truong Lam✌ - Medium

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 1 year later...

Came across this year-old discussion today as I am a new Affinity user and have a similar issue with setting and/or editing the leading on a paragraph.

I’m doing a business card. I create a text box, set my font, size and leading and get an automatic “no style” in the “Text Styles” window. No matter what leading numbers I enter (in this case 8pt font size, 9pt leading) the default continues to remain at 12pt leading. I can try editing the style, creating a new style, entering 9pt in the upper bar but nothing will change the leading. If type the words in the text box the text style is automatically set  to “No Style) regardless what I create in the beginning.

How can I simply place a text box, chose my font, size and leading and start typing? Why am I forced to use the “No Style” default settings and then try to edit them?

Is there a better way?

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

I’m doing a business card. I create a text box, set my font, size and leading and get an automatic “no style” in the “Text Styles” window. No matter what leading numbers I enter (in this case 8pt font size, 9pt leading) the default continues to remain at 12pt leading. I can try editing the style

It shouldn't matter that it says "No Style", as that is not really a style.

Just make the settings you want in the Context Toolbar, or in the Paragraph panel, and everything should work as you want. Or, define your own text style with a different name, and use it.

For further assistance if needed, screenshots and/or a sample document (.afdesign, .afpub, .afphoto) would help.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, Stoney said:

No matter what leading numbers I enter (in this case 8pt font size, 9pt leading) the default continues to remain at 12pt leading. I can try editing the style, creating a new style, entering 9pt in the upper bar but nothing will change the leading. If type the words in the text box the text style is automatically set  to “No Style) regardless what I create in the beginning.

I think that the Leading is 9 point but the Space After a paragraph is set to 12 points. When you use the Return key to start a new line you are starting a new paragraph. Try using the combination of Shift + Return, that will give you a new line in the same paragraph.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks for the replies, Walt and Old Bruce.

Walt, yes, I made the expected edits to my text in the Context Toolbar. No matter if I set the leaded to 9pt it would remain at 12pt. Possibly creating a style BEFORE making a text box and BEFORE typing would do the trick. I’ll try that tecnique.

Old Bruce, no the ‘space after’ setting is “0” in all settings. “Shift > return” is not quite what I’m looking for.

Turns out the only solution I can find is the “Character” setting “Postioning and Transform”. The default seems to be 12pt. Changing that made the difference. I think I can make a style from the settings at that point. If not I may post again.

Set up a [no style] paragraph the way you want it. Have the text cursor selecting the paragraph. Go to Edit > Defaults > Synchronize From Selection and now immediately go to Edit > Defaults > Save.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have the same issue.  It only happens at one juncture of my document.  It either makes the font in that area huge or microscopic, or puts huge spacing between lines.  I've tried what Old Bruce suggested, but it didn't work.  I'm about to pull my hair out :( 

8 minutes ago, Lauren67 said:

I think I have the same issue.  It only happens at one juncture of my document.  It either makes the font in that area huge or microscopic, or puts huge spacing between lines.

Changing font size is never related to leading override. It can be caused by various reasons, often it is a text frame which was manually scaled with its outer bottom right handle.

Leading may appear confusing if a base line grid got set unintendedly, for the document or for specific frames.

Can you upload a document with the affected text frames (you can delete anything else)? – Or upload screenshots showing the text selected with has unwanted formatting + shows the Layers Panel + Character Panel + Paragraph Panel + Text Frame Panel + activated "Show Special Characters" + de-activated Preview Mode.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1