You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have been trying to use the clone brush in Affinity Photo after years of using the one in Paint Shop Pro. As far as I can see there isn't an option in AP that matches the 'Build Up' checkbox in PSP.

The default behaviour is to select your source, then paint your destination, which clones the image across. if you set 50% opacity, the copy is a 50% seethrough version of the source. No matter how many times you 'sweep' over the destination area, you will never get more that 50% opacity of the clone. If you then release the mouse button and click again, you get another 50%.

The 'Build up' checkbox in PSP gives you the option to keep applying the cloned content without needing to lift your mouse button. Kind of like how an airbrush will keep adding more and more paint every time you sweep over the same area. I would normally set the opacity to 10-15% then build up the cloned content slowly, making it blend perfectly with surrounding areas.

Is there an option I am missing in AP that allows this? As I simply can't use the clone tool effectively without it.

Quick secondary suggestion: I love how PSP lets me right-click to select the clone source, then left click to apply. Any chance of this option too?

Edit: Sorry I put this in the wrong forum - should have been Affinity Photo Suggestions.

Edited by Checkmate
wrong forum section

3 hours ago, Checkmate said:

The 'Build up' checkbox in PSP gives you the option to keep applying the cloned content without needing to lift your mouse button. Kind of like how an airbrush will keep adding more and more paint every time you sweep over the same area. I would normally set the opacity to 10-15% then build up the cloned content slowly, making it blend perfectly with surrounding areas.

Is there an option I am missing in AP that allows this? As I simply can't use the clone tool effectively without it.

Try very low values in the Flow control in the context toolbar. 

Ah yes, it works!

At first I thought it wasn't working, but then I realised I'd previously adjusted the 'Accumulation' setting to 50% whilst I was experimenting.

Is there any way to add a crosshair in the middle of the destination brush circle? With the Flow Control set so low, it's really hard to line up points to clone.

2 minutes ago, Checkmate said:

Is there any way to add a crosshair in the middle of the destination brush circle? With the Flow Control set so low, it's really hard to line up points to clone.

Enable 'Always show brush crosshair' in the UI section of the app preferences.

1 minute ago, Checkmate said:

Perfect!

Now if you know how to enable right-click to choose clone source, you'll be in the running for a Nobel Prize.... 😄 

Does it count if I'm correct in telling you that that cannot be enabled?

The only way I know is opt/alt + left-click

15 hours ago, anon2 said:

Does it count if I'm correct in telling you that that cannot be enabled?

The only way I know is opt/alt + left-click

I'll have to check with the Nobel Prize board....

It's a shame about the right click. As that doesn't seem to be used for anything whilst on the clone brush. In fact it would be great to be able to customise all extra mouse buttons in Affinity apps - I have a pair of back/forward buttons on the side of my mouse that I'd love to have as undo/redo or brush size up/down.