You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Masks are wrongly exported as SVG

Hello all!

Here's a bug which is reproducible in Designer, Photo and and Publisher.

When exporting as SVG, masks are not correctly exported. You can find a first analysis by @thomaso with sample files showing the issue here: 

My conf is iMac 27" 64Go / Core I7 4.2 / Catalina 10.15.4
It is reproducible too on a MBP 16" with similar config.

• Staff

Hi Pierre Lannoy,
Your logo.afphoto file contains an artboard which can only be created in either Affinity Designer or Publisher. Can you detail how have you created this file originally please? Did it started in one of these programs and was opened in Photo as saved as a afphoto file or any other method?  How did the artboard end up there? Thanks.

Helo @MEB!

This file is coming, initially, from illustrator (from one of my colleague), then opened in Designer or Photo by me (minor adjustments, final layout, export as SVG with not rasterization, then archiving as .afphoto generally). The goal is to produce a SVG which will be included in a resource file for a software (that's why I don't rasterize). It's a process I carry out routinely and without the slightest problem usually. But that's the first time it contains a grayscale gradient mask.

Don't hesitate if you have any other question...

• Staff

Hi Pierre Lannoy,
Thanks for the info. You said the file come from illustrator. Do you mind uploading the original file in whatever format they sent you please? We have stumble upon a few issues we'd like to check out. Here's an  upload link to send it directly to us.Thank you for your support.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dear Affinity team and @MEB

I'm really sorry to insist, but I've reached a real sticking point...

I reported this bug 3 months ago. This bug impacts Photo, Publisher and Designer and no one tells me if this bug is taken into account and/or gives me an ETA for a fix.

I have bought (and use) 3 softwares that have a defect that prevents me from doing my job as it should be done. What am I supposed to do? Consider that this bug will never be solved and change my tools? Wait?

Please, can you answer me on this bug?

• Staff

Hi Pierre Lannoy,
Please accept my apologies for the delay/lack of info, I got sidetracked by other things/issues despite the various bumps. I did checked the file and passed it to the dev team but we discovered  a few issues that needed to be checked (thus the request to the Ai file) - namely the afphoto file crashing Affinity Publisher on opening - an issue related with multi-page view (caused by artboards maybe) which shouldn't be happening. We weren't yet able to replicate whatever changes were made to your afphoto file to make it crash Publisher and are still investigating it.

Regarding the SVG export, the issue comes from the Ai import in Affinity Photo as well. As you probably know we are only able to access the PDF stream included in the file and when imported to Affinity Photo any opacity masks associated/linked to a shape are rasterised (whereas Illustrator keep them as editable gradients) this results in the various raster masks nested to the problematic shapes you see when you open the Ai file in Affinity Photo. When you then export them from Affinity Photo to SVG (for export preset), these raster masks force the rasterisation of the vector objects they are nested to leading to a correct output visually but still with rasterised elements on the SVG file obviously. Setting Rasterise to nothing (More button in the Export dialog) is not intended to prevent this - the mask is already a raster object anyway - and if not processed leads to the unexpected results you are getting/seeing (no raster elements in the SVG but incorrect output visually).

In other words, we need to improve the Ai import/be able to retain the attributes of opacity masks (as gradients) to correctly output the SVG files without rasterising certain elements. I'm logging/passing this to the dev team for consideration as an improvement but i have no idea/eta for when or if this will/can be implemented. Meanwhile re-creating these problematic objects + raster masks with gradients and transparency (as they were originally created in Illustrator) will allow you to export them as vector elements to SVG from Affinity Photo without issues.

• 1 month later...