You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer color labels not working

Hi,

I have been unable to color label my layers. It used to work some of the time but now I cannot get it to select a color....whether a layer group or single layers. Any idea why this may be happening? I have tried tiffs, jpegs, anything possible as a process of elimination. 

iMac running OS 10.14.6 Mojave, 3.5 GHz i7, 32GB RAM

Thank you

Jason Steffan

Edited by Jason S

Duplicate of this post ... https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/113375-layer-label-colors-not-working/

@Jason S It's working for me (on Windows) can you upload a video of what happens when you try it?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks guys for your responses.

I have tried all kinds of variables. I think the biggest clue is that the layer color labels were working off and on for a while but now not at all. Also, a friend of mine has the exact same workflow (on an iMac running Mojave) and does not experience this problem. 

My workflow is opening a raw file in Capture One Pro, editing there, then 'edit with' as a tiff in Affinity, some editing,  then back to Capture One Pro. 

Thanks

Since this is happening on both the regular version of Photo and the most recent Beta of Photo for him, could it be that there is some sort of corruption upon installation? It doesn't make sense that no one can reproduce this glitch, including myself (on both regular and beta, as well), yet he has the same problem on his computer with both versions. It's only a theory, but it's the best I can come up with. 

• Staff
On 4/21/2020 at 3:17 PM, Doren Sorell said:

Since this is happening on both the regular version of Photo and the most recent Beta of Photo for him, could it be that there is some sort of corruption upon installation? It doesn't make sense that no one can reproduce this glitch, including myself (on both regular and beta, as well), yet he has the same problem on his computer with both versions. It's only a theory, but it's the best I can come up with. 

I think it is because the file is being sent through Capture One. We probably don't understand something. 

5 hours ago, Chris B said:

I think it is because the file is being sent through Capture One. We probably don't understand something. 

No, that's not a thing. I've been using Capture One as my DAM and Edit In via there into Affinity, just like Jason above, and I do not have this problem, nor does anyone on the Affinity forums -- and I checked. So, I think it might be some corruption in the installation of Affinity ... that's my best theory. Is there any way to check that? It just doesn't make sense that the Beta version does it as well on his computer. Something is up. 

• Staff
On 4/20/2020 at 11:58 AM, Jason S said:

Thanks guys for your responses.

I have tried all kinds of variables. I think the biggest clue is that the layer color labels were working off and on for a while but now not at all. Also, a friend of mine has the exact same workflow (on an iMac running Mojave) and does not experience this problem. 

My workflow is opening a raw file in Capture One Pro, editing there, then 'edit with' as a tiff in Affinity, some editing,  then back to Capture One Pro. 

Thanks

Can you confirm if this doesn't work if you simply open Affinity > File > New > Pixel Layer > try and change the layer colour? So completely forget about Capture One for now whilst you check this. 

Hi Chris,

Yes, I am confirming that it still does not work by opening Affinity > File > New > Pixel Layer. I added pixel layers, tried groups, tried every possible combination.....right clicked to select layer color and it does not allow me to do so. 

Thanks

Jason

Hey All, 

I'm Jason's friend he's mentioned, and I have the same workflow: From Capture One into Affinity and back. I've been doing this for over a year (and before that with Photoshop). 

This problem has got to be something happening in download or installation. The reason is that the Beta version he downloaded is also doing it. I have the same version of Photo, and the Beat, and they don't have that glitch (nor does anyone, it seems). 

Is there a way to check his versions of the app, like a diagnostic, to see if they became corrupt? 

And what if he deleted them and re-downloaded and installed them again? Would that be worth trying? 

And ... let's say he did do that, and the problem persisted, what then? What can be done? 

Thanks. 

• Staff

It wouldn't be the installation per se, it would more likely be the folders linked to the app.

I would like you to reset the app (but safely) by backing up and renaming a folder.

I'm not sure if you  have the App Store version or the Affinity store version so here is both:

Mac App Store:
Please go to this location - \Users\username\Library\Containers\com.seriflabs.affinityphoto\ and rename affinityphoto to affinityphoto.old

Affinity Store:
Please go to this location - \Users\username\Library\Application Support\Affinity Photo\ and rename Affinity Photo to Affinity Photo Old

If this works, can you send me the file you renamed to 'old' so we can poke it?

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know Jason. 

What kind of input device do you use? I've tried it with a Magic Mouse and a Wacom and I've asked a few other QA to try this and nobody can reproduce it.

On 4/25/2020 at 4:06 PM, Doren Sorell said:

And what if he deleted them and re-downloaded and installed them again? Would that be worth trying? 

You can try this but I would be surprised if it worked. The reset I asked you to do above is usually more effective.

Using a magic mouse 2 and have used the trackpad to test. The strange thing is that it has been working on and off again. I think for the time being we'll just let it be and I'll see what happens during the next update and/or consider a fresh install. 

Thanks

• 1 year later...