You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please can we have an UNDO/REDO button on the Affinity Publisher Toolbar please?

I am loving using Publisher for creating newsletters and training documents for my elderly clients that are still enjoying their technology.

I am Dyspraxic with poor coordination - I like to use a Mouse and Keyboard for most of my navigational tasks and a little freestyle drawing now and again, but I find it so cumbersome having to leave the mouse to go to the keyboard and press CTRL-Z to undo the last step(s), or click EDIT and so on.  A few clicks of the mouse back and forth (to undo or redo) would be a real bonus for me - Thank you.

Perhaps this should apply to other products in the Affinity Family too, if it doesn't already?

- Graham

#SeeTechMoreClearly • #WindowsInsider • #EdgeInsider • #Microsoftie
~ Simply and clearly empowering older users of Windows10, iOS, macOS, or Android Devices and AmazonFire Tablets.

As you can see, it has been required for a long time.

https://www.google.com/search?q=UNDO%2FREDO+button+Toolbar+site%3Aforum.affinity.serif.com

It is surprising that such a "high-tech" function cannot be implemented in four years 😞

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1*Qdx2MMrjk-mHxFCLVR9Otw.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Thanks. I should have said I am aware of the History tab. I am finding using the Studio tabs a bit cumbersome at the moment. The slider is a great addition but often I simply want to very quickly flick through a couple of revisions. A mouse click on a button at the top of the screen seems more intuitive to me. I use the studio for more detailed adjustments.

- Graham

~ Simply and clearly empowering older users of Windows10, iOS, macOS, or Android Devices and AmazonFire Tablets.

59 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

As you can see, it has been required for a long time.

https://www.google.com/search?q=UNDO%2FREDO+button+Toolbar+site%3Aforum.affinity.serif.com

It is surprising that such a "high-tech" function cannot be implemented in four years 😞

Thanks. I scrolled through 20 pages of the forum before making my new post. 

Choice is good!

- Graham

On 4/16/2020 at 5:38 PM, Graham H said:

Thanks. I scrolled through 20 pages of the forum before making my new post. 

Choice is good!

If you're on Windows you should check out old Serif DrawPlus X8, the last version before it was discontinued.  You can buy it today on Ebay for 2 dollars.  I've used it to create my own custom toolbar which combines items from the toolbox with items from the toolbar and also items from within menus.  You can place the undo/redo wherever you like.  I think that Serif PagePlus X9 can also do it but you might have to splurge 10 dollars to get that one.  It's discontinued software so you can use it for as long as Windows supports it.  After that, it'll be gone forever unless you are willing to try and maintain an old PC, but that is challenging.

Thanks @Kuttyjoe That is a really good idea and perhaps something I will try with DrawPlus, thank you.

I have been a Serif fan for years - having started with PagePlus 3.0

I still frequently use PagePlus X8, and WebPlus X8 (despite continuously attempting to find a replacement, nothing touches it), and also have DrawPlus X8 and even PhotoPlus X7 installed (although I rarely use that as most of what I require is incorporated into the Windows 10 Photos App now.) 

I joined the Beta Programme for Affinity Publisher, and I am a Windows 10 and Edge Insider for MIcrosoft. It is disappointing that something so simple as an Undo/Redo button has been omitted from the design. Using the History Panel takes time compared to one or two clicks back and forth. As Affinity products get more exposure across Windows and Apple spheres I hope their simplicity of use doesn't get lost.

- Graham

On 4/16/2020 at 8:58 PM, Graham H said:

Sorry - two 'Pleases' but this is important

@Graham H You might have got a faster response had you posted this in the Feedback for Affinity Publisher thread instead of the Designer thread.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

2 hours ago, John Rostron said:

@Graham H You might have got a faster response had you posted this in the Feedback for Affinity Publisher thread instead of the Designer thread.

John

Oops. Thanks for pointing this out. Human Error

I haven't bought Designer yet. I'd hope Photo, Designer and Publisher all have undo/redo buttons.

I am a visual person. Why are there no coloured icons identifying which app the forum refers to as well as the blue flash?   I did tag my post as Publisher.

- Graham

4 hours ago, Graham H said:

Why are there no coloured icons identifying which app the forum refers

You mean this?

Screenshot_2020-04-19-16-12-47.png.bc0aa0693b19ccf8136937aef7c43ff3.png

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

2 hours ago, Pšenda said:

You mean this?

Screenshot_2020-04-19-16-12-47.png.bc0aa0693b19ccf8136937aef7c43ff3.png

Don't think I saw that page when I sent my original post. Maybe the forum pages should feature the relevant product icon or colours?  Perhaps I would have noticed sooner 😀 (Apologies for the bad screen photo snapped on my phone)

IMG_20200419_173422432_compress7.jpg

Screenshot_20200419-173056.png

Screenshot_20200419-173345.png

- Graham

1 hour ago, Graham H said:

Maybe the forum pages should feature the relevant product icon or colours? 

You mean this?

Screenshot_2020-04-19-20-30-17.png.58a55b27b36a5e8e6b02a66a662c1ab2.png

Forum colour correspond with application icon.

Yes - but only using Affinity Publisher on my PC I hadn't noticed the mistake. The blue highlight was just a blue highlight - it didn't identify 'Designer' to me at first glance.

I am human - I made a little error - so I am suggesting something that may help others not make similar mistakes in future :)

I attach a small mock-up example quickly made in Publisher. A badge for the top of each page, or something similar (obviously smaller and better rendered.)

Interesting conversation - Thanks.

Example-Affinity-Product-Banners.png

- Graham

11 minutes ago, petrpastor said:

It is much faster to use Ctrl+Z, Ctrl+Y

You might want to read the original post and reason for the request.

Yes, thanks. I do understand the logic.

For many people, CTRL Z, and other keyboard shortcuts are quicker and easier, but personally I have realised that I am much more productive using mouse and keyboard (or fingers / pen on a touch screen if I was using Affinity products on a tablet.)

My condition means nothing I do in life is ever automatic or instinctive. I can teach myself to do anything and to do it well, but it takes me a lot longer to do that than most. Dyspraxia is a little like Dyslexia in the way that brain signals are confused, but rather than affecting speech and language as is the case with Dyslexia, Dyspraxia affects motor control and movement. (The resulting frustrations are similar in both conditions.)

I created this post (I now realise in the wrong section of the forum, for which I apologise,) because after several months of using Affinity Publisher regularly to create some beautiful documents that my clients appreciate, I was (personally) continually getting frustrated when I wanted to quickly undo/redo a couple of things and there appeared to be a button missing.

Others may find it easy to adapt but for me to use the keyboard is a whole load more thought processes to add in the middle of a design task... Leaving the work on screen, looking down to the keyboard to ensure I press the correct keys (and actually coordinating my fingers to do so)... Meanwhile the pointer has moved on screen...

I hope that explains how, for me, a couple of swipes and clicks of the mouse in a relatively small area on screen is a whole lot less complicated than using keyboard shortcuts.

For me one of the strengths of using Windows 10 compared with macOS is how Intuitive and simple it is. Pressing the single PRT SCRN button or ALT+PRT SCRN or using the new Snipping Tool for screenshots is a whole lot simpler for me than remembering and coordinating multiple finger-ballet positions combining SHIFT ALT CTRL OPTION and numbers.on my MacBook.. it reminds me of trying to operate a ZX Spectrum back in 1983!

I sometimes use CTRL-C or CTRL-V to copy and paste on Windows, or the OPTION variant on a Mac.. but it's so nice to have an on-screen choice and right-click if I prefer. (I know I could set up right+click on my Mac.)

I hope this helps Affinity be as flexible and inclusive as Windows 10 is, with great design... As was the case with all Serif's legacy products.

Thanks to all that responded for listening.

- Graham

Hi Graham, thank you for explaining your issue in detail. Perhaps this would be enough motivation for Serif to raise the priority for his.

23 hours ago, Graham H said:

I hope this helps Affinity be as flexible and inclusive as Windows 10 is, with great design... As was the case with all Serif's legacy products.

Thanks to all that responded for listening.

The best thing about Windows is it's backwards compatibility.  Other than that, I really dislike Windows 10.  When you talk about Windows being flexible, I find MacOS to be much more flexible.  For example, you can customize the keyboard shortcuts for the OS itself.  I know you're not a fan of keyboard shortcuts, but it's still an example of flexibility.  With regard to "print screen", it's the most limited screen capture imaginable.  Almost nothing there.  MacOS has every possibile kind of screen capture built right in, with keyboard shortcuts, which you can customize to your own personal taste.  That's flexibility.  Then there's Quick Look which is one of the most amazing features for anyone working with images or graphics.  Still, to each his own.  I just spend much of my time fighting with Microsoft over control of my own PC.  Many things have no "off" button. You have no choice.  You can't choose about updates.  You can't refuse them.  You can't decide to keep a PC at a certain level and not upgrade it.  If an update breaks compatibility, then you are out of luck.  That happened to my older PC.  Windows 10 would update, crash, revert.  It took an hour to update, crash, and revert every time.  I had no way to stop it from attempting the update so I reinstalled Windows 7 for a couple years.  Then I went back to Windows 10 and I found out what was the problem.  It was the wifi card, the one that came witht the PC originally.  So, in order to get Windows 10 to survive the update attempt, I had to first shut down the PC, remove the wi fi card, boot it back up, then try to update again.  In 25 years, I've NEVER experienced such nonsense on my Macs.  As of now, my brand new PC has a proble where it's being kept awake, plus when it does sleep, it wakes up at random times. So I can't allow it to just sleep.  I have to power it down completely.  Windows is a mess.

@Kuttyjoe I'd rather not get into a debate about the Windows Vs Mac here but I just shared my experience regards keyboard differences.

Windows is on thousands of different devices made by different manufacturers. That's it's downfall.

I don't know which version of Windows 10 you were/are using but since approximately 2017 with Pro versions you can defer updates until at least a year ahead. With the 20-04 version currently rolling out, as more and more is moved from legacy Control Panel to the Settings app, a lot more can be turned off, and you can even uninstall out of the box apps like Mail if you dislike them.

I am new to Mac. I hate it if I am honest. My first machine had a failure, it took 7 hours to sort out and the reinstall took me all the way back to OS Lion!

In nearly 30 years of using Windows I have only had 3 devices I couldn't repair and only one ran Windows10.

It's great Affinity is available on Windows, macOS and ipadOS. 

For anyone interested, Microsoft Edge is now available on Windows 7*/8/8.1/10, macOS, OSX, iOS and Android, plus insider versions are available on Linux and ARM. *Windows 7 Support for Edge ends next year. It's lacking about 122 Google services running in the background compared to Chrome. Connecting to Microsoft (and probably Google later) is optional and it has great Security and Privacy choices.

- Graham

On 4/21/2020 at 9:38 PM, Kuttyjoe said:

keyboard shortcuts, which you can customize to your own personal taste.  That's flexibility. 

It would help some people a lot if toolbars were customizable and those setups were saveable as presets. Aiffinity could even supply several setups for different tasks (preferably with panel setups – much like InDesign workplaces).

29 minutes ago, Fixx said:

It would help some people a lot if toolbars were customizable and those setups were saveable as presets. Aiffinity could even supply several setups for different tasks (preferably with panel setups – much like InDesign workplaces).

+1

2 hours ago, Fixx said:

Aiffinity could even supply several setups for different tasks (preferably with panel setups – much like InDesign workplaces).

While the following quote is not a complete answer to what you are describing but it seems Serif is working on something:

I do admit that this is a little off topic to the OP's request 😉

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 1 month later...

Alright!  I bought Affinity Publisher when it was first launched and it has many new enhancements over the original PagePlus series.  I immediately complained to Serif about the lack of Undo/Redo buttons and was told it was on a list of requested improvements.  I really do not mind if I have to "customize" the toolbar to get them to appear.

I have been waiting ever since and still it appears to be neglected.  I have yet to hear an argument as to why they are missing.  After all, if you don't want them, then you should be able to remove them.

I agree that Ctr-Z is an alternative, but not if I have my mouse in my hand.  It also needs to be there to help photoshop users who have been using it since birth. 

I want to be able to click on an icon to undo a change and then click on another icon to redo the change.  click click.  simple and easy and I do not need to let go of my mouse.  Having a history panel is a useful enhancement to the undo button...  but it is not a replacement.

As a result of this failing I am still using PagePlus X9 until such a time as Affinity takes care of this.