You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Blending the Edges on a 360 panorama

I have made a 360 panorama image ready for viewing in 360 as per google photospheres. I have removed blemishes, retouched any failure spots and when I view the result in the PTGUI viewer, there is a seam in the sky which shows how different the edges of the flat image are. I have tried the clone tool followed by blending and image in-painting but still the line seam difference remains. The difference might only be slight but often not and this spoils the seamless panorama.

Is there a particular tool I am missing? Is there a video I have not found and has anyone else found a solution? I want all the sky to blend as one with no seam.

I have tried to upload a 17mb image but each time I see a -200 error message saying the upload has failed.

Thank you

Adrian

Adrian Wood

• Staff

Hi Adrian Wood,

Welcome to the forums :)

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, due to the ongoing situation we are all working remotely which has increased our response time. We're working hard to stay on top of things, so we thank you for your patience and understanding here.

I'd like to offer some personalised suggestions so I'm going to need a copy of your file - the error message you were seeing usually happens if one of the pixel edges of the image is considered 'too large' for the forums and this could certainly be the case with a 360 image. Could you either please ZIP the image and attach it here, or alternatively upload it to the following link for me, then let me know once this has been completed?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/mcfM0gaRD9C3ELUCTpWd

Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Thank you very much for your help. I have uploaded 2 images. You may notice that there are some repeated areas of cloud. Using the method I described above takes me a long time and is hit and miss at best and certainly not the professional result I am looking for.

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

@Adrian Wood Thanks for your files and my apologies for the delayed response!

I was able to remove most, if not all, of the 'seam' in your image using the Inpainting Tool and the Blur Brush tool. I've attached a quick screen recording of this below -

Is this what you were looking for? :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @RPASaust,

Welcome to the forums and my sincerest apologies for the delayed response.

When stitching a 360 image, Affinity will do it's best to match the edge, but as shown in my above screen recording you may need to make some manual adjustments for the best results.

Could you please confirm for me, are you having trouble with a specific image set, or are you simply requesting this feature for the future? :)

• 2 months later...

Bumping an old thread because, as suggested, I looked first to see if my problem has been addressed before and this thread is about the same problem I'm having, though it's a bit different.

Same issue with the seam when viewing a panorama as a 360°, except instead of having the visible seam in the sky mine are on floors, walls, and ceilings.

Solid colors are easy to deal with using the inpainting tool, healing brush, and blur brush. Where I'm having problems is when the seam is located somewhere more 'busy,' such as a tiled floor or where they may be a painting, furniture, or other object on the wall that can't be blended without damaging the image.

Is there a way of dealing with this tougher issues when the above mentioned tools don't quite do the job? Maybe create a duplicate layer and somehow erase or feather the edges so that the edits blend in better? Somehow use a layer mask to hide or reveal a duplicated layer and then flatten the image?

Hi Big Swifty

perhaps  on the part of the image to be adjusted  add a vector shape (rectangular? ) whose edges would possibly be blurred for the overprinting progressiveness and then play with the HSL, or with the luminance (gray%) gradient...?, and then you can be rasterize the this patch,

• Staff

Hi @Big Swifty,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Could you please upload a copy of your .afphoto file, or the image you're using in the file to the below link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/5DPAKtvY8wXdFq38zb8y

Once uploaded, please respond here to let me know and I'll do my best to provide a resolution :)

Thanks for the responses. I'm a bit too busy right now to give that first suggestion a try and also to upload a copy of the image to dropbox, but I will do so later when I have some free time.

Before doing those, I will be trying a potential solution I came across last night and will post a photo of that as well. Theoretically it makes sense. The idea being that color corrections are made by using the information from nearby pixels. The left and right edges can only grab this information from pixels that are to the inside of the edges so this is what creates the uneven colorization/seam. By widening the canvas and moving copied layers of the image to both sides, the orignal image's edges now has pixels on both sides from which to grab information. After corrections are made the canvas is shrunk down to it's original width and the ugly, sometimes hard to correct with tools seam is gone.

So I tried the suggestion I found elsewhere and it works perfectly. The solution I found is for PS, but it's easy enough to change for AP. Here's a link to the video:

The basics are to widen the canvas, make two copies of the widened layer, move one of those copies to the right, the other to the left, merge the three layers, do your global edits, resize the canvas back to it's original size.

^^ correct.  you need to mirror the edge pixels if you are going to make any corrections to the full 360 image that involve local pixel operations.  You can make a macro in AP that will do the expansion of the canvas and the copying/pasting and mirroring.  If you do not want to go through all of that trouble, you can use the Affine transformation to offset the image so that the seam that gets created at the edge of the image while you make local corrections is in a less conspicuous location in the image.

Kirk

• 1 year later...

There must be a lot of us editing 360 panos and having this problem.

The live equirectangular projection in the Photo mode is brilliant for touching up and sorting out the Nadir and must already have won Serif a lot of business.

With Adobe dropping their support for Spherical Panoramas in Photoshop this is a real opportunity for Serif to win even more customers.

Ideally we need to be able to tick a button to say we want our editing to be edge aware and effectively wrap around the left hand and right hand side during any develop/tone mapping operations, but even some good well written macros (beyond me) should be able to resize things, add 10% of the left of the image to the right, 10% of the right of the image to the left - allow us to edit and then, when complete, strip off these extra areas and resize back to the original.

I can do all of this manually, but its a hell of a workflow when editing a series of panos - automating it would make Affinity Photo a real winner, but so far seems to have fallen on deaf ears with the developers.

• 3 weeks later...

should just be as easy as 'toggle on' equirectangular projection' and keep working in that mode, regardless of what you do, forcing the software to make edge aware corrections. Got cought out numerous times closing the image only to find that corrections only have been made in that particular section, or the resulting image is what I've just worked on on the screen.. this gets quite annoying with the constant backards-forwards projection enabling-disabling switching, just to change your viewpoint to make corrections etc.