You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher - different settings on copied FX

Hi!
What am I doing wrong at Publisher? I create a guide with a screenshot, some of which I scale. They are pasted from the windows clipboard (from memory). I set Layer Effect for one image - Outer shadow. I copy the layer - I select another picture and I do Paste FX. But instead of having the same parameters, e.g. radius and 20px offset, has the shade completely different?

image.png.57da0b2ff9db62e6814f121de415aaba.png

If the images have different sizes or DPI values the FX will scale.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The only solution I know is to only paste FX between items with the same size and DPI but maybe someone else knows of another one.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If possible, select different objects and set the final values of the effect if you don't want them to be different. It's a long know issue with the effects or other styles that change value when pasted on some other objects.

If the effects are simple ones, with few values, it a good exercice for the memory… perhaps one day we'll have an option to keep exact values.

This is a rather weak solution - if the customer changes his mind, I will have to set it from scratch. Is there any justification for this behavior of this function? I don't see any benefit from it. I tried the picture frame - nothing. Styles - nothing too. Rasterize ... (already scaled image) - nothing ... Maybe it will change someday - may it soon ...

We had the same discussion about not understanding this variability in AD. It's the same when you save the effects as styles. When added to another object, the values can be completely wrong.

You can draw another object, hoping the values will be the same, but they'll be lower or higher once the syle or effect pasted on a smaller or bigger object.

Try dupplicating the original object to be sure it keep the same values, and hope you won't have to modify them later.

We lack the ability to keep the exact same values, and to be able to modify an object style instead of needing to select them all and modify the effects when we want changes and to have consistency.

I found a solution (and maybe also an error)! Works with both styles and Paste FX ... a funny thing ... it turns out that there is a difference when you have a document in CMYK and RGB (my document was to be an internet file and not a print so I chose RGB)... a document in CMYK has no problems with the correct style / FX assignment and the values are the same in scaled image and not scaled ... in RGB - no ... why? I have no idea!

I checked in Designer and Photo - it doesn't matter CMYK or RGB. To the scaled image, the first FX pasted is ok, the second one is not. The same style department ... probably only in Publisher is ok - only in the CMYK document ...

• 3 weeks later...

For me its the same and its a very nerving issue.
I mean, why do I have the option to set a style from an object with effects,
when it doesn'T apply the same on another object.

f.e. I set a dropshadow with a certain value, which I want to use all through the document. 
So I save it as a style to use it on the next object, but nada... if I apply this to another object, the shoadow looks wholly different and I have to set the pixel values for it again.

I believe that must be a bug (since I know that InDesign didn't do it that way), so please, Serif, correct that soon.

Otherwise, your apps are really awesome, I love publisher so much

Thanks for all
;-)