You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A new 1.8.2 bug - "too many files open"

Hi,

I managed to get a new error message. This is very unfortunate as I can't realistically assume that I am REALLY running out of any resource.

Could you let me know WHAT resource I am supposedly running out? I seem to have over 20GB of RAM left, 1,25TB of SDD space and with CPU/GPU both under 5% load I can't say I understand the situation. I spent whole yesterday to work on this file. And now when I load it and do one new page, this happens every time. 

And no, none of the files are MISSING like the preflight says. They all are 'OK* when I open up the file. And none are changed in any way. 
It just decides that those are "changed" if I make the one more page. And eventually, after clicking some 100+ popups, this is the last popup (so likely the first pop up to actually appear).

What on Earth causes this and how can I avoid this? My .afpub IS bit on the large side (484MB), but when working on files that are meant for printing that isn't really that big of file for 31 pages.

CapturePublisher.PNG

• Staff

I suspect it is file handles. To investigate I would need to get your afpub file and all the linked files. As an experiment you could create a new version fo the file and try embedding some files and possibly converting some of the afphoto files to sinple raster format images. You can upload your files securely here.

• 1 month later...

I see a similar issue frequently when I open files in Publisher. If I close Publisher via Windows Task Manager and restart, everything is hunky dory. It doesn't matter which file that I open - any of them with linked files cause a problem. Note that this happens even when there are no other files open in Publisher, and in fact only a few other programs open (mail, browser).

Untitled.png

Edited by APEGamer
Adding clarity

Yes, the same problem occurs EVEN if I copy the .afpub out of Dropbox. 

As said, I have 'fixed' the problem by splitting the files to several files. Instead of some 40 special "cards" for a board game, I have now 4 files of about 10 pages/cards each. That works. 

In my case I've not tried copying the files out of a Dropbox folder, but I'll keep that in mind. I would hate to have to remember to copy files to Dropbox when I finish editing them. Also, in my case, this can happen even when I have a single card with only 2-3 links.