You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Masks applied on the full image size in SVG export.

Hello all!

I'm currently facing an issue when exporting one file with some masks (grayscale gradients) as SVG. All these masks are rendered, in the resulting SVG, on the full image size (not only the curve it should apply to).

The problem appears with Photo, Designer and Publisher. I've attached to this post the .afphoto version (source) and .svg file (export target).

Could someone help me find out if I'm making a mistake, if it's a known limitation of the exporter or a bug?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Logo.afphoto SVG Result.svg

Edited by Pierre Lannoy
Adding tags

I am not sure what exactly you want to see on your export. I don't notice issues with the default export preset "SVG (for export)":    Logo_ot.svg

My result has 180 kB while your uploaded is 24 kB and looks to me as if very 'overexposed', almost white.

If you still can't get it exported properly:
– what export settings do you use?
– can you also upload a JPG, just to make sure what visual result you expect?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hello @thomaso and thanks for your answer.

In fact, I want the SVG looks like exactly like the .afphoto source :)

If you look at the source (Logo.afphoto) you will see at the top of the big cube a sort of light beam which is done with curves and masks. It's perfectly ok in the .afphoto file. Nevertheless, when I export to SVG, some of these masks are strangely generated: they take all the image size. And it's why the image looks "overexposed"... This issue comes when I choose to not rasterize (your export is full rasterized).

Unfortunately, rasterizing result file is not an option for me. It should be exported with the settings I attach to this answer.

Sorry if I'm unclear, don't hesitate to tell me if it's the case

settings.png

Edited by Pierre Lannoy
Adding settings screenshot

Sorry for my fully rasterized upload. I would not expect it to get rasterized with default export preset "SVG (for export)", accordingly to my experience with e.g. preset "PDF (for export)", which works like a charm here:    Logo_ot.pdf 

Finally it appears the object/layer type "(Mask)" causes a bug when exported as SVG.

As a workaround you may avoid using such mask layers but instead apply the gradient directly to their mother layer:     Logo_ot_no-rast.svg

266085256_gradientwithoutmasklayer.jpg.fd9b060d40629ec1e7be90c647917022.jpg

1362954689_gradientdirectlysvgscreenshot.jpg.175d8f91ed3e0b66a8f95939838a7478.jpg

For easier investigation I isolated related objects, moved your mask, set it to invisible and created a new mask:  

Logo_ot-mask.afphoto

962672578_maskAP.jpg.d3a801a034a0b2771c854f8b5cfb558e.jpg

The resulting SVG, opened in AP, shows the issue again: the entire "(Mask)" layer + its mother "(Curve)" layer became converted to plain areas, neither locally limited nor with a gradient:  

Logo_ot-mask.svg

767695697_maskAPSVG.jpg.adef2ea17e425452d33db4aaf6b454c4.jpg

Besides this SVG mask export issue I run into an unexpected appearance with your mask layer when moving it in the layer hierarchy: then it shows a rectangular gradient as expected with your masked content ... BUT some more fully transparency OUTSIDE its right and bottom edges:

1843619376_maskrectangle.jpg.293efafb1a0e5e92d7b4ce1ecceeb9b4.jpg

I recommend you to post this topic once more in the bugs forum. To reduce copy/paste or uploads you could post a link to this thread.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1