You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

now i have 2 Affinity Designers?

hi.
a few days ago after some guys on youtube said great things about Affinity Photo for drawing and painting i decided to buy it.
but...looks like i buyed Designer again...why they have the same brushes i dont understand...i thought Affinity Photo had exclusive brushes but no...
now im confused...what should i use for drawing?Photo or Designer?omg...it looks the same cant believe it!
they even share same tools like pen tool and shape tools!

• Staff

Hi StarterMan,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Affinity Designer is a design application used mostly for hybrid vector/raster illustration and graphic/web/UI design. It has both a vector brush engine (Designer Persona) and a raster brush engine (Pixel Persona) - the same used in Affinity Photo, but limited photo editing functionality.
Affinity Photo is mostly a RAW developer/converter and photo editing app which can also be used for painting/illustration (it only has a raster brush engine). It has a limited set of vector tools but advanced photo editing tools (similar to Photoshop) like panorama stitching, batch processing, HDR Tone Mapping, channels, live filters (not available in Designer) etc.

ok,thanks for the help guys.
if the 2 apps share the same brush engine it doesnt matter what to use to draw...
this is what i think:the Affinity Photo needs to be more unique,needs to have exclusive brushes,
btw where is the puppet tool?i cant find it...all free software have it Krita,Gimp...even Photopea added the puppet tool 2 weeks ago and its only one man work!
how a paid software does not have it?
thats it.
brushes made for Affinity Photo only
puppet tool
and a 2d bone animation timeline
then i can say Photo is different from Designer.
thanks again guys.

4 hours ago, StarterMan said:

then i can say Photo is different from Designer.

You can say that now because Photo has a lot of features that Designer does not have:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

thanks for telling me.
i buyed Affinity Photo because people making me think its like Clip Studio Paint.
and i though Photo and Designer had different brushes.
but its ok,maybe i can use it for other things in future.
Liquify looks interesting.
is some tool in Affinity Photo similar to puppet tool?
im playing with mesh warp tool right now...its not the same...it needs pins.
just one suggestion:Photo and Designer should be merged into one with the name:Affinity Fusion
what do you think?:)

• 1 month later...

It is actually Designer that needs to differentiate itself and grow more than anything. Photo is very clearly defined feature-wise. The name also really is a hint - planet sized hint.

Bloggers and youtubers and teletubbies say all kinds of stuff. It is a stream of herrings. They have to put out reviews and posts all the time to get attention and priority in algorithms. The result: more junk or better quality? Take a wild guess. A handful are qualified for giving away advice. The rest are usually not ("Helloguyswhatzup"). Very few in depth reviews by skilled individuals out there.

Use the trials and let the impressions sink in. 🙂

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.