You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher documents will crash if linked assets are missing

As discussed in this thread

If you create a document in publisher and then one of the linked assets are missing, opening the document will crash the program. It seems to happen more with documents that were created in earlier versions of publisher. 

Moving the document to a location which causes all the linked assets to be missing allows it to be opened without crashing. 

• Staff

Can I clarify if you mean assets or resources?

There was an issue fixed in 1.8.2 where modified linked resources could cause a crash on open, and breaking the links to these resources would allow the file to open so they could then be replaced. This sounds like what you are discussing.

Do you get this issue in 1.8.3?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

6 hours ago, Jon P said:

Can I clarify if you mean assets or resources?

There was an issue fixed in 1.8.2 where modified linked resources could cause a crash on open, and breaking the links to these resources would allow the file to open so they could then be replaced. This sounds like what you are discussing.

Do you get this issue in 1.8.3?

I mean liked linked images. I only started getting the issue in 1.8.3 (Although it only seemed to be with files made in 1.8.2)

• Staff

It may be if the file came from an earlier build it could still have an issue in, but as far as I am aware this has been fixed in 1.8.3 - We are investigating an issue where the DPI can be reported incorrectly so there may be more to it.

Can you reproduce from scratch in 1.8.3?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2020 at 11:05 AM, Jon P said:

It may be if the file came from an earlier build it could still have an issue in, but as far as I am aware this has been fixed in 1.8.3 - We are investigating an issue where the DPI can be reported incorrectly so there may be more to it.

Can you reproduce from scratch in 1.8.3?

After experimenting more: It seems to only affect files that were built  before 1.8.3. If the file was made in 1.8.3 then it seems to be fine.