You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.3.1.26723)

• Staff

Purpose: Features / Improvements / Fixes 

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Here

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

- Fix for exporting 'selected objects' causing a crash if the width or height is changed

- Fix for vector brush textures appearing incorrectly stretched/acting strangely

- Fix for marquee selection crashing in Pixel Persona when in intersect mode

- WEBP import support (export coming soon!)

- Improved tool UI drawing speed by upto 5000% in OS X 10.8 and above (note that this is just tool UI - not everything!).

- Fixed GIF export (bad permissions were set on the resulting file).

- Removed “Edit in Photo” toolbar button.
- Attempt to recover when the default system fonts are not available.
- Minor translation UI improvements.
- Prevent crashes when users mistakenly try to open folders instead of files.
- Minor performance improvements in performance when editing 16bit RGB files.
- Numerous vector export / import improvements.
- Fixed issue which caused path text to be inaccurately positioned.
- Fixed issue with Edit -> Fill not applying colour noise.
- Fixed sporadic issued with Open -> Recent and other MRU things.
- Attempt to resolve file association issues, so Photo files open with Photo and Designer files with Designer!
- Fixed issue where feathering a selection by a large radius would produce weird results.

Hi Matt,

many thanks for the new beta …  :)

One little question … how is that

Attempt to resolve file association issues, so Photo files open with Photo and Designer files with Designer!

supposed to work? What do we have to do to associate the files correctly? I used the Info panel for my files to "change all" to the correct beta versions respectively, but this still affects .afdesign and .afphoto files … did I do something wrong?  :unsure:

Best, Alex  :)

• Staff

Hi Matt,

many thanks for the new beta …  :)

One little question … how is that

Attempt to resolve file association issues, so Photo files open with Photo and Designer files with Designer!

supposed to work? What do we have to do to associate the files correctly? I used the Info panel for my files to "change all" to the correct beta versions respectively, but this still affects .afdesign and .afphoto files … did I do something wrong?  :unsure:

Best, Alex  :)

You don't need to do anything and it should resolve itself at some point.

It's actually a complicated issue especially if you have multiple application using those file extension. Because the current mac app store versions do the wrong thing - they might override the fixes in the beta version so you might not find the issue 'fixed' until we release the mac app store version with the fixes. You can't remove the mac app store version of the app because then your betas don't work.

The best way to see this working now would probably be as follow:

- Remove all existing betas from the system completely (it must be emptied from the trash can)

- Install the Photo beta (for the afphoto files).

- Install the Designer beta (for the afdesign files).

- Restart

- Run the Photo beta once.

- Run the Designer beta once.

- Restart

Hopefully the services would have recalibrate to use the betas.

For drastic measures, you can restart your launch services, and remake the quicklook previews. However, this might have weird side effect and not recommended.

The complication also comes if you have manually reassigned your files to use an associated application. Since the individual file will now be linked - nothing external can change it. Hopefully, by removing the existing beta currently on your computer might solve this.

Andy

Thanks, Andy, for this long and detailed reply … I am going to test this later this afternoon and report back … After all, it’s more an inconvenience than a problem. We can always use the right + click to open method …  :)

• Staff

We can't put timelines on anything - it just ends up with rush-jobs to try to fix something at any cost and that isn't what we want and it's not in the best interests of our customers - it's at the top of my list along with boolean geometry (which I'm currently typing at the moment). It's something that needs to work properly and I'm aware of that and will get it working properly as soon as I can.

Thanks for your patience,

Matt

Hey Andy I tried this twice but it keeps confusing AF and AD files... Oh well, back to right-clicking "Open with…"

You don't need to do anything and it should resolve itself at some point.

It's actually a complicated issue especially if you have multiple application using those file extension. Because the current mac app store versions do the wrong thing - they might override the fixes in the beta version so you might not find the issue 'fixed' until we release the mac app store version with the fixes. You can't remove the mac app store version of the app because then your betas don't work.

The best way to see this working now would probably be as follow:

- Remove all existing betas from the system completely (it must be emptied from the trash can)

- Install the Photo beta (for the afphoto files).

- Install the Designer beta (for the afdesign files).

- Restart

- Run the Photo beta once.

- Run the Designer beta once.

- Restart

Hopefully the services would have recalibrate to use the betas.

For drastic measures, you can restart your launch services, and remake the quicklook previews. However, this might have weird side effect and not recommended.

The complication also comes if you have manually reassigned your files to use an associated application. Since the individual file will now be linked - nothing external can change it. Hopefully, by removing the existing beta currently on your computer might solve this.

Andy

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Hi Andy,

I tried everything I could think of, followed your advice as well, but unfortunately I must affirm what Ronny said … can’t get the system to discern AD and AP files … seems we have to wait for the next app store update …

But as I said, no problem. We should be happy how the two apps work together in every other respect …  :)

Thanks and have a nice weekend, Alex

• Staff

So where’s the cool stuff? :)

Haha, well.. how did I know you'd ask? ;)  Basically, we've decided to release a small update to the App Store to fix the majority of issues found by users of Affinity 1.3 before moving on to 1.4 - so although we're working on the new features day-to-day in our 1.4 branch, we are also maintaining the 1.3 branch and adding fixes to it so that we can give people the best experience with an update to the Mac App Store version within the next couple of weeks (hopefully). The beta has to come from the 1.3 branch as that's what we're going to push to the App Store as an update when we know that everything is working as expected :)

• Staff

Hi Andy,

I tried everything I could think of, followed your advice as well, but unfortunately I must affirm what Ronny said … can’t get the system to discern AD and AP files … seems we have to wait for the next app store update …

But as I said, no problem. We should be happy how the two apps work together in every other respect …  :)

Thanks and have a nice weekend, Alex

Hey Andy I tried this twice but it keeps confusing AF and AD files... Oh well, back to right-clicking "Open with…"

The trick here is to make sure OS X doesn't associate the files with the MAS version of the app. So what you can try is to first disassociate those files by removing all copies of Designer and Photo from the system and then restart, and try 'Open with...' with those files to make sure they aren't pointing to any residual app. Bear in mind this will remove your current settings for Designer and Photo.

Then install the MAS version of Designer and Photo but DO NOT start up the application. Then install the beta version of Designer and Photo. Run the beta version of Designer and Photo up once. Try 'Open with...' with the files to see if the files have associated correctly. As long as the MAS version of the application never run up, then it should be fine.

The best way to see it working is if you goto 'Get Info' on a file, for the General > Kind property, it should show either

'Affinity Photo Document'

or

'Affinity Designer Document'

If it says 'Affinity Document' then it has associated to the incorrect application.

It's all very tricky at the moment because the apps are fighting for control which makes it hard to test. :(

Unfortunately, If these files are in the Affinity iCloud folder, then they will always be associated to Designer .

Hey Andy,

no problem … before I loose all my settings I’d rather stick with the current ctrl+click technique …  ^_^ 
Thanks for your explanations though … I think I can wait until the next app store update … :)

Cheers, A.

I hoping this beta fixes a few issues I'm having. Just now I had the second instance of working on a large file for several hours, only to save and close and find that none of my work at all was saved since opening the file. :( Slightly terrifying, and seems very strange considering that originally Designer auto-saved my work every few minutes. There's no crash report or anything so I'm not sure if there's any way of investigating why the save isn't occurring. Could be a server issue on our end, so I'll be working from the desktop for awhile to see.

Hey guys, I'm noticing a bug on layer exports that I noticed in the last version and seems to be in the present beta as well. When I select a vector crop mask for an object and export the layer by itself, it exports a blank image of the mask itself. When I select the layer, it seems to be at least partially ignoring the vector crop mask, and exports with a blank area around it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lhfet48bf0b746g/export-layer-bug.mov?dl=0

• Staff

Hi,

Just check back tomorrow - I was hoping we'd be able to get a build up today but I had to go home this afternoon so wasn't in the office - I'm assuming there's been a snag so we'll definitely get it out for tomorrow, sorry :(

Thanks,

Matt

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.