You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Failed to save document; Save failed because access to the file was lost.

Hi

I have the Affinity Designer (ver 1.8) installed on my desktop PC running WinPro7 64bits.

Whenever I save my files to an external hard disk, I always have the message 'Failed to save document; Save failed because access to the file was lost. Do you wish to save the document to a new file?' (see attach jpeg file)

It is not an issue if I save the file to an internal hard disk. Kindly assist if I had missed out something, thanks.

Screenshot 2020-04-16 16.52.01.jpg

• Staff

Hi nyc,

It's common to get this error when trying to save directly to a external drive.  One of the Dev team has explained a bit about why this can happen here.  To avoid it happening, its best to save locally and then move the file over to your external drive.

Hi stokerg

Thank for the response. I pretty sure is not due to the temporary lost of connection to the external hard disk.

Also, what I discovered recently when I save the affinity file to an internal hard disk and copy that same file to an external hard disk, I realise that I can then the open and save the same file as an affinity file to the external hard disk; this is a rather strange anomaly. I hope you can put up this issue to the developers and let them know whether it can be fixed in a later update as most people especially content creators are working on the go and off their external hard disks and this issue might affect their work flow. 

nyc