You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 1.8.3 Crash City

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I don’t have any real answers for you, but I think I may be experiencing the same issue.

For me it happens mainly with layers that have a mask on them. Your might want to try copying layers one at a time and copying the mask separately. I have had some success, but it’s been frustrating. Another idea I just came up with is that you could try copying and pasting the layers while in designer or publisher (if you have either of them). I haven’t tried this but maybe it could work?

Anyways, I made a separate post about my issue this morning before I saw this thread. Maybe linking them together will help the developers.

Best,

Graceson

• Staff

Hi madflute,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Do you have any clipboard managers/similar utilities running in background? If so can you turn them off and check if the app still crashes for you?
If it's still crashing, do you mind uploading the original afphoto file from where you are trying to copy the layer for us to check please? Here's an upload link you can use to send the file to us. Thanks.

Hi @MEB,

No clipboard mgr, and is not file dependent. But I did find a workaround. If I don't forget to switch into Move Tools before copy/paste, it won't crash. But then another issue is that hitting the v key doesn't always reliably switching into the Move Tool (to be clear I am not talking about when you are in text mode). 

Say I am doing something like painting, healing brush etc, often I have to hit v key twice, or I have to select different layer in order to switching into Move Tool. Basically Affinity Photo 1.8.3 is less reliable than 1.7 for me. It maybe because my lowly MacPro5,1 16GB is too underpowered? A heavy AF file silently fails to PS color print from this machine but fine from i7 MBP, and this was fine when v1.7 but not anymore.

• Staff

Hi madflute,
I'm having trouble replicating the crash here however i don't have any High Sierra machine available. I'm checking this with a few colleagues to see if they can replicate the issue on their end.

By default if you press a shortcut tool twice it reverts back to the previous tools you were using - say you are in the Paint Brush Tool, if you press V once it switches to the Move Tool, if you press V again it switches back to the Paint Brush Tool. I believe this is what you are doing when you refer to unreliable switch. You can disable this behaviour going to Affinity Photo Preferences, Tools section and ticking Use shift modifier to cycle tools. Note however that this also disables the switching between tools of the same group (for example when you press B with the Paint Brush Tool selected, pressing B again switches to the next brush tools which have B assigned as the shortcut).

Hi @MEB,

I am pretty sure that is not what I am doing. Usually I hit v and I expect the blue frames of the objects of the selected layer. When I don't see it, I hit v again, and usually it works. When it still doesn't work, I click on the Move Tool and it still doesn't show the blue frame so I select another layer then comes back to the layer I was working on. Then selecting the Move Tool works at this point. This happens on both MacPro5,1 and MBP Retina.