You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Spherical panorama in Affinity Designer / Photo

Could anyone please explain what the steps are required, to turn a 2D vector drawn scene into a spherical 360º panorama? 

For example I create an environment in Designer and want to make it a 360º viewable POV scene (that you can pan around in), can I do this in Photo with an effect, filter or plugin?

Thank you

Are you expected your 2D scene to remain flat in the spherical panorama, for example, as one wall/floor/ceiling of a six-sided room, or do you expect 2- or 3-point perspective to be transformed from the 2D scene into extended 3D lines?d

What field of view in the spherical panorama do you want your 2D scene to cover?

I am familiar with going the other way, from 3D to 2D.  Usually the 2D images produced from a map of a 3D spherical panorama are extremely distorted when viewed as flat 2D images.  The simplest case is cube mapping, where shots of the ceiling, floor and 4 walls are combined into one (strange looking) 2D image.  Going the other way, from 2D to 3D, seems like magic, unless you have some particular constraints or restriction on how you want one 2D image mapped onto the inside of a sphere.  35 years ago when I was in grad school, inferring 3D shape from 2D features such as silhouettes or axes of symmetry was an extremely limited, and ambiguous, process.  While computer vision has gotten a lot better in three and a half decades, it hasn't gotten magical, yet.

Thanks for your response!  Well... its something I haven't done before so I wasn't sure what the process is.  I recently came across an image of what appeared to be a 2d and flat looking vector environment with the user in the center.  It was almost like a 2d drawing mapped to the inside of a 3d sphere where the camera is at the center – to be controlled by the user.  There was no true perspective, but it was more like foreground, midground and background layers that made it appear to have depth.   And I could pan around (right and left only, but 360º).