You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Images upside down

Hello

Using the latest version of Affinity Photo. and this is the first time this has happened to me.  I open some images and they are upside down.

In these last couple of days I've had it happen several times.  Resetting the rotation fixes the issue, but not sure if this is a bug  or why is it happening now.

Thanks

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

6 hours ago, velarde said:

I open some images and they are upside down

If it's consistent on a particular image please upload a sample

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hello. thanks for the response

I don't have them...  

• I downloaded them from different sites. One  was a SVG from flaticon.com. I download icons from there almost everyday.

• Another was a png or jpg  image I downloaded for reference from a WordPress website I built .. (saved from Affinity) 

When I opened them they appeared upside down in Affinity Photo...

If I left them upside down and exported they looked ok...  But if I rotated them 180 degrees in Affinity Photo and exported them they exported upside down..

For some reason Affinity Photo was opening them with a 180 degree rotation in the viewport.

This has happened on these couple of files in these past weeks (never had this problem before) . The first one, the SVG I dismissed as a fluke but when a couple of days it happened to a jpg image I thought it may be a bug. If nobody is having this problem (which doesn't happen often) it may be on my end.

Thanks,

fjv

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

6 minutes ago, velarde said:

If nobody is having this problem (which doesn't happen often) it may be on my end

Or it may just be a flag in the file's metadata for the rotation but without a sample we can't tell if that is the case

If you get another file like this please upload it to the forum

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

I am experiencing the very same behaviour of Affinity Photo (1.8.4 on macOS 10.15.7).

As it seems, the coordinate system of the window in which the file is opened is somehow messed up: Other than expected, the coordinate axes have unit vectors [-1,0] and [0,-1] instead of [1,0] and [0,1]. Pixels with positive coordinates are in the upper-left quadrant of the coordinate system, not the lower-left. The contents of the opened file appears as if rotated about 180°. Despite the erroneous display an export of the just opened file will be fine and oriented correctly.

In the screenshots attached you can see that the window's set up is not ok. Also attached is the file that causes this behaviour. It seems that images of a small size in width and height will cause it.

Screenshot 2020-10-28 at 22.17.55.png

Screenshot 2020-10-28 at 22.18.09.png

Icon.OK.afphoto

19 minutes ago, geeknurse said:

Also attached is the file that causes this behaviour. It seems that images of a small size in width and height will cause it.

It opened fine for me. Reset your rotation, go to View > Reset Rotation.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 6 months later...

So peculiar, the way it looks fine in finder and Clickteam Fusion where the image came from, but in Affinity Photo it's upside down and back to front. I tried flipping it both vertically then horizontally which made it look fine in Affinity but then the wrong way everywhere else. So thanks for the tip about resetting rotation. Exported it after that and it looks fine everywhere now.