You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Usage of relative coordinates option in EPS export window

I read the Affinity help section online, but sill didn't get it completely.

It says: when selected, objects in the exported file have relative positions for maximum editability. If this option is off, object positions are fixed to create a file which is optimized for viewing.

Does this mean if the option is unchecked object position can't be edited?
I tested exporting to EPS and I'm still able to edit the object position no matter whether it's selected or not. I guess I'm missing something somewhere!

Can someone please enlighten me?

image.png.7b4b950a3512c587f4f395cc1b36b523.png

Linktree | Freebies

Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Affinity Publisher | 1.10.6
Windows 10 Home (64 bit) Version 22H2
Intel i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30 GHz (4 CPUs) | NVIDIA GeForce 940M | Intel HD Graphics 520 | 16GB RAM

• Staff

Hi malayali :)

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response here.

On 4/15/2020 at 1:24 PM, malayali said:

Does this mean if the option is unchecked object position can't be edited?

That's not the case here, this option refers to the mathematics in use within the files coding - when using an absolute position, everything is measured from an origin point (0,0) and drawn related to this. This means the file will always preview correctly, regardless of the size or position of the EPS file itself.

When using relative positioning, one origin point is not chosen, but coordinates are instead associated to pairs of points. This allows for much more flexibility when editing the file outside of Affinity, as each object will be drawn relative to each other and not the canvas itself. 
For example lets say the parent's position is 587.35px and you need to move the object so it is 20 pixels you only need to change the dimensions to 20px rather than 607.35px (This is a basic example).

This option also affects how the EPS is drawn within a Viewbox, which is used when the size of the placed vector document does not match the original pixel values.

I must admit, I am not the foremost authority on EPS on the forums, and I suspect one of our regulars may have some more information (or corrected information) if you need it - however if you aren't having any issues either viewing or editing your EPS files externally, then I recommend leaving this option off when exporting your file. If you have any issues editing an exported file try turning this option on and re-exporting the document.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!