You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Starting with Affinity Designer

William Overington

Starting with Affinity Designer

I bought a licence for Affinity Designer earlier this morning and then installed Affinity Designer and tried it out.

I used an A4 size page, the default brush, and I just picked a colour from somewhere in the green part of the colour wheel.

Hand-drawn using the touchpad on a laptop computer.

I produced a PDF, attached.

William

first.pdf

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

Here are the three layers. The front layer was produced from a copy of the back layer and the curve broken and some points removed.

----

experiment_with_layers_front.png.be82d878486d492216e7b7bec6bf896e.pngfront

----

experiment_with_layers_middle.png.63ac77975776df22793890a422f83366.pngmiddle

----

experiment_with_layers_back.png.6ef8635a0e90ce7b87fa554500b0e5d8.pngback

----

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

Thank you. Wow!

So could you explain how you did that please?

I would like to try to repeat it, then try something similar yet different, and then use the knowledge and skills to try something else.

William

Which application is this using please and what does one need to do to get to where your images start please?

Also, is the selection of the shape manually done or something that the software does for you please?

I am only starting to learn. I got Affinity Photo as well, but I have not used it yet, so I now have all three applications as I got Affinity Publisher a while ago.

William

42 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Which application is this using please and what does one need to do to get to where your images start please?

Also, is the selection of the shape manually done or something that the software does for you please?

I am only starting to learn. I got Affinity Photo as well, but I have not used it yet, so I now have all three applications as I got Affinity Publisher a while ago.

William

- "Which application is this using please"
* I use Affinity Photo.
-------------------------
- "what does one need to do to get to where your images start please?"
* (My English. Not good.) I search image from internet. and mix with your picture.
---------------------------
- "Also, is the selection of the shape manually done"
* One of most image Edition is Making Selection.
Some image, I use much time for making Selection.
such as one Hour of edit image, sometime I use 15 minute for making selection.

Some selection I use Selection bush tool (Automatic Selection).
But almost everytime, I use Automatic Selection + Manual Selection.
Add selection , Subtract selection,  Add Add Subtract Add Subtract Subtract.

Try to learn about Making Selection. (Important)
You can find many tutorial on YOUTUBE.
-------------------------------
- "or something that the software does for you please?"
* Only use Affinity Photo

I learned of the Isometric drawing capability of Affinity Designer from the following thread.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/113578-affinity-trading-cards-%E2%80%93-the-imaginary-set/

I found that I can also use isometric drawing in Affinity Designer to design the inside of a room.

I found that if I got a flat picture of some wallpaper from a wallpaper website that Affinity Designer has the facility to paste the image, appropriately sheared, onto the isometric plane, which allows that one can then decorate the wall with wallpaper.

William