You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

While doing a tutorial I clicked on the 'basic' group of tools and moved it alongside the picture I was working on as requested by the instructor. Now I cant find it, I only have lens, details, tones and overlays available. I have restarted the programme but it wont come back, any idea where it might be hiding? Tks Don

25 minutes ago, don1950 said:

Thanks Murfee, found it! Now canyou tell me how to put it back where it was next to 'Lens" under the histogram?

Also just tell me why it moved so I dont do it again?

You can drag it but that can sometimes be a bit fiddly to get it where you want. Try view>studio>reset studio. It moved when you dragged it out and probably closed when you closed the app

Hi Murfee, thats exactly what I did, reset, and it fine. 

Now a new one, when I have finished working with an .nef file and I want to save the end resultas a .jpg, how do I do that?

I see to that the size of the .nef file decreases with each adjustment to it, is that normal? Is there any way of avoiding ending up with a 1mg file?

Hi don1950, to save as a jpg you need to export it, go to file>export and choose jpg from the options. 

I am not sure what you mean by the nef file decreasing, can you explain a bit more what exactly you are doing for this to happen.

6 minutes ago, don1950 said:

I noticed it when I cropped a picture, it went from a 14MG file to an 8MG file, which other adjustments would reduce the size like that?

That is normal with cropping, you are reducing the dimensions of the file and that is reducing the amount of pixels so you end up with a smaller file size. Your original raw file will be safe, Affinity Photo does not save changes directly to the raw. It will save it as an Affinity format, this will increase the file size due to the way the software works, or you export the file to jpg etc.

53 minutes ago, don1950 said:

I see to that the size of the .nef file decreases with each adjustment to it, is that normal

It was mentioning adjustments that confused me, I thought you meant adjustment layers 😀

Hi Guys; I am really having a problem getting to grip with Photo. Its simple stuff that most would probably know without having to be told, but I am battling....Is there any way I can get the book as a download - I don't want all the chapters, just the ones dealing with the basics of how to use the system? 

40 minutes ago, don1950 said:

Hi Guys; I am really having a problem getting to grip with Photo. Its simple stuff that most would probably know without having to be told, but I am battling....Is there any way I can get the book as a download - I don't want all the chapters, just the ones dealing with the basics of how to use the system? 

Welcome!   If you will log on to https://affinityspotlight.com/articles/recent  and then scroll down  and click on “Top learning articles for Affinity newcomers” then scroll down to “Jump into Affinity Photo”  you will find an excellent presentation, dated January 23, 2020 by James Ritson from the Affinity team.   You can print this very long article out and I am sure that you will find it a really nice way to get started.   It has the added advantage of letting you follow along on your computer by downloading a practice file to work with as various actions are explained.   Hope this helps to get you up and running!!  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9