You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher (Underscore with whole column) with left justified text?

Try Decorations from the Paragraph panel. There are several settings including spanning the complete width. Right indent 0 relative to column.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Thanks for your reply.

I tried several methods (also those you recommended) without success. My wish is to have optimal word spaces, ragged left and full column width for the underscore like in my picture.
Also no letter spacing for the word, if only one word on the row.

... hoping to be solved

Thanks

Erkki

wish.png

Maybe you should post your .afpub file here (leave out possible confident data if any). Decorations should normally work, so I don't know why it is not working in your case.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Here's one way using Decorations from the Paragraph panel.

274890705_Screenshot2020-04-15at14_34_04.png.01a80ace1bf136db1254f6591ce886cf.png

The left and right indents for the underscore are set relative to the column, not the text.

"Combine identical" must be unchecked or the decoration will only be applied to the last paragraph in the frame.

The quantities/measures are followed by a tab, which is placed and adjusted in the text ruler at the top of the frame.

Sample .afpub file attached with the style named "Ingredient". 

Hope it helps!

H

Ingredients.afpub

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Never mind. I should have provided some explanation, but I didn’t have a lot of time yesterday. I just wanted to quickly answer your question. 😉

But I still believe tables would be of great service for your purpose. Not only you would be able to have precise alignments, if that matters (note that the upmost horizontal won’t be aligned to the text frame, when you use decorations), but more importantly, you would be able to take the guesswork (or the calculations) out of the vertical placement of your decoration lines. Just set a height for your table rows and click Vertical Align Text: Middle. And if you need to do more of these recipes, just create a table style.

I’ve added an example document. 😀

Alex

Table.png.db6927d1fd39c784fa79d28a58c2b9da.png

Recipe-Tables.afpub

Yes, you are right.  You are expert!

Table has better features for typographcal adjusting. I have textual data (tab delimited, cr at the end of line) for the tables. One problem still. What is the best way to import textual data to the table?

Method 1: Place a .xlsx file. Not working perfect right now. Maybe due to the fact that I do not own Excel, only LibreOffice Calc.

Method 2: Place a .txt file, copy and paste the content to a table with the same columns and rows. Not perfect either.

Unfortunately there is no Create Table from Text function right now.

------

Well, I found the following method quite reliable:

• Make sure to have a tab-delimited text with paragraph returns, where tabs indicate new cells and paragraph returns indicate new rows of the table to be created
  • Make sure to add a paragraph break after the last line
  • Select all, including the last paragraph break
  • Copy
  • Select as many cells in your table as you have tab delimited phrases in your text
  • Paste

That should give you a pretty consistent way of transferring your contents to a table. 😀