You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unsharp Mask filter to solve fuzzy image on resize/export

This seems to be a request about Affinity Photo, not Designer.

Are you saying that the Unsharp Mask filter (Filters > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask) should be combined with  Resize (Document > Resize)?

If you need to sharpen after resizing, this had best be done separately as each resized image is likely to need differing degrees of sharpening , if any.  For export, you need to sharpen as the last action before exporting, at the final resolution. It needs to be separate so that you can check the sharpening visually at 100% before export. 

I would not support this suggestion.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

11 hours ago, John Rostron said:

This seems to be a request about Affinity Photo, not Designer.

No, actually both.
Photoshop and Illustrator resize or export images that is crisp because they must be applying unsharp mask automatically.
Images Affinity resize or export are kinda fuzzy. if you search this subject in the forum there are many topics.
Also I see the same complain people claim on social media.
I understand that applying unsharp mask filter automatically spoils image so Affinity has chosen not to apply.

But if you handle many images, you will know an option to apply unsharp mask(means user can choose if apply or not) on resize/export screen would be very useful.
Also since Designer does not have filter, there's no way to apply unsharp mask manually.
I have both Photo and Designer, but not everyone has both.

7 minutes ago, Fixx said:

I requested something similar for Publisher PDF output as there is also resample routine in PDF options:

Yes, that's close to what I'm talking about to fix fuzzy image.
Another idea is that to implement "Macro" option that's on the Batch Job screen.
So I can add an automation including Unsharp Mask.

• 9 months later...

Thanks for your help with this. I tried resizing via “document” and then “unsharp mask” with limited improvement. Side-by-side, there’s still a significant loss of clarity.

On 4/14/2020 at 8:26 PM, ashf said:

Unsharp Mask filter is needed since resized image on Affinity is not crisp though Photo has Unsharp Mask to fix it.

Unsharp Mask filter option on resize/export would be nice  also.

26 minutes ago, KBL said:

Thanks for your help with this. I tried resizing via “document” and then “unsharp mask” with limited improvement. Side-by-side, there’s still a significant loss of clarity.

What parameter you set for Unsharp mask?
I usually set parameters like below.
Radius: 0.5  - 1
Factor: 1 - 1.5
Threshold: usually 0

3 minutes ago, ashf said:

What parameter you set for Unsharp mask?
I usually set parameters like below.
Radius: 0.5  - 1
Factor: 1 - 1.5
Threshold: usually 0

I tried several, the best result was 1, 1.5 and 0. Also, Lanczos non-separable provided best result of the options. I did the resample/document size change first, then the Unsharp Mask.