You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Automated Copyright Credits for Stock Images

Offering Stock Images is a great feature. When using Unsplash as source the Copyright Credits pop up as Info. Would be perfect to streamline the production process by generating an automatic text object with this credit content. Up to now I have to make a screenshot quickly before it desappears. Maybe as an option checkbox directly in the top area of the stock panel? If checked, Object will be generated in the center of the picture on top of it. PowerPoint 2019 has solve it already like that. After selecting content from an online source and inserting it into a PowerPoint slide an additional editable object below the picture with copyright credits appears. Thanks.

Anmerkung 2020-04-14 195303.jpg

Anmerkung 2020-04-14 195957.jpg

Anmerkung 2020-04-14 200201.jpg

Anmerkung 2020-04-14 200249.jpg

At least for the licenses of Pixabay (pixabay.com/service/license/) and Unsplash (unsplash.com/license) the images are completely free for private and commercial use, not even attribution is required.

On first thought, I'd say the authors of the images could help and put relevant information in the metadata, if they want their material to be credited, like @Wosven mentioned.

But still, I also miss a functionality @affinice suggests. For writing down or copying the information from the popup box, it just disappears too quickly.

44 minutes ago, THart said:

I'd say the authors of the images could help and put relevant information in the metadata

The problem is lot of sites, blogs, etc. delete metadata for privacy reasons.

A lot of sites, even Wikipedia, don't bother adding metadata in the files, only in their data base, and they are available/readable on the pages. And, since it's time consuming to add them as metadata — a friend does this and other tasks needed in a photo agency —, that's why they don't.

The least I can do for people providing me with free stuff, is putting their name (and not obligatory (only) the web site) in the credits. It's helpfull, a lot more when you need to find a pic or some similar from a shooting with same subject, that you need to buy it or ask for its usage after finding it on another support, if it's not par of the free ones. It's a pain to spend a lot of time tracking an author for this, when it would have been simpler if the site/publication, etc. were doing their work properly.
Some free pic sites seems to reuse images from other free sites without importing those datas.

All the Creative common licences ask for basic attribution: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/ 
If the pic is under copyrights, you need to give them.
That's more difficult for public domain images (CC0), since we don't always have the informations if they are old.

True, most metadata is stripped from (free) stock sites.

I would really like to credit good free work from authors, but manually running after name and info is a pain and time consuming, like you said.

That reinforces the need for such a funtionality in Affinity.

With some other app, you juste need to select the image and check the link panel: if there are metadata, they'll be listed and copiable (or you'll be able to generate automatically credits from this metadata field).

I only need to add the credits first with a right-click > proprieties on the files (on Windows). Perhaps it looks time consuming, but not when clients or copyeditors ask to swap photos. I don't need to zoom and check/modify the credits, they'll be ok. Agency's photos are provided with metadata, it's easier.

2020-04-18_144812.png.3045f632dbd5b86e4465e6e9edaf445a.png

It's interesting to notice that AP permit to enter metadata in PNG files, and since it's what I use when I need a transparent background from a JPG or other file, it's really usefull.