You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

pdf import with unexpected results

Hi everyone,

seems I'm not the only one with pdf-problems. I decided to make it a new topic anyway - this is urgent!

Like many other musicians I use Finale to write music. I need to put some scores in a publication and the only way to export is .pdf - and no possibility to change any settings.

So I wanted to place that score in Publisher - but what I got has nothing to with the file I created. The interesting thing is: In the preview (while opening) it looks ok. I am not happy, that I still have to go back to my old photoshop CS 6 to handle things like that. 😞

I attached the original pdf made with Finale - and what Publisher made of it. And yes, all the fonts are installed and available - and with PS all is good...

BTW: I bought Aff. Photo, Desinger and Publisher and I like working with the progs very much - but things like that are very annoying (I tried for more than an hour to get it right)...

Please help - Thanks a lot

Ralf

Finale.pdf Aff Publisher.pdf

I have the same problem with exported PDF scores from Dorico. All fonts are present when importing (though I thought the whole point of PDFs was that the fonts were not needed, potable document format for all platforms...?) yet when trying to view with facing pages it scrambles, and even in vertical mode some letters are changed. 

I need to make images out of the .pdfs to put them in a MS-Word Document, so it doesn't have to be Publisher, could be Photo or Designer - but all three Affinity Programs share the same problem.

Apparently these issues are around for a while, so it's about time Serif does something if they want to keep their newly found customers... They even advertise PDF handling, so it should be implicit it works!

I really hope Serif is working on that issue. That's the weakest point of Affinity for me by far. But unfortunately I never read anything of somebody from Serif about that, despite the fact that many people seem to share the need of this "feature".

So Serif: Please let us know, are you already working on it? How long do we have to wait for it approximately?

Despite of that I don't want to forget to mention that the Affinity apps are genius in many other aspects!

If you have Photoshop CS6 do you by chance have the rest of the CS6 creative suite? If so you could just use Acrobat Pro and make the changes or edits there. 

This issue or what they call a feature has been there since the beginning and has been asked for countless times by many people. I would not hold your breath for it or start working on projects where you need to import PDF's into Publisher with the hopes it will be corrected soon. 

Good to see some other musicians on here! I've had some issues with Dorico PDFs into Publisher. I've only been able to get around them 100% by exporting from Dorico using the Microsoft Print to PDF function which seems to convert everything to curves so there are no issues with fonts etc.

Should be available from Finale as well (although I've never used it!) if you treat it as a Print function rather than Export.

On 4/16/2020 at 12:55 PM, Rallef said:

I need to make images out of the .pdfs to put them in a MS-Word Document, so it doesn't have to be Publisher, could be Photo or Designer - but all three Affinity Programs share the same problem.

My workaround would be to use pdf2png or the GhostScript method to convert the pdf that has embedded fonts

@wonderings Nope, just Photoshop...

@broadcast Good Idea, but the result after opening the "printed" pdf is similar to the exported pdf.

@Catshill I don't know about a GhostScript Method but I'm afraid it won't help for cropping single lines out of my pdf to convert into images? pdf2png might help though - I'll have a look...

Is there a way to send all these coplaints directly to Serif - to maybe get an answer if they plan to adress this pdf issue?

Thank y'all and greetings :-)

3 hours ago, Rallef said:

@wonderings Nope, just Photoshop...

@broadcast Good Idea, but the result after opening the "printed" pdf is similar to the exported pdf.

@Catshill I don't know about a GhostScript Method but I'm afraid it won't help for cropping single lines out of my pdf to convert into images? pdf2png might help though - I'll have a look...

Is there a way to send all these coplaints directly to Serif - to maybe get an answer if they plan to adress this pdf issue?

Thank y'all and greetings 🙂

They know about the issue, it has been asked for many times. It is one of the big reasons I would not even attempt to use Publisher for anything I do with Indesign.