You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Digital Drawing in Affinity Photo

First off I mostly enjoy drawing in affinity photo. I would want to supply a small list of features which is holding my work speed back tremendously and which I find would be great additions to the affinity apps: 

• Hover Option for the eye dropper color pick: It would be great to have an option to enable a hover color pick without clicking on the canvas after pressing alt for picking up a color. It just needs to much timing and coordinating when painting fast to press alt (assigned to stylus keys) and then click the canvas. Sometime the canvas is hit first ending up to redo one step to try to choose the color again. I would want an option to always pick up a color as soon as alt is pressed and that click and dragging then opens up the more precise view for picking colors.
  • Color wheel of the box version: It would be great to have an additional rectangular color wheel option.

image.png.08d21553401c105005f88216b240711d.png

• Quick solution to rotate workspace: button and drag to show a compass/indicator and rotate the workspace
  • Straight lines for brush tool by dragging a line preview: option to draw straight lines with the brush tool at the actual recorded pressure level. The line should be previewed so that the drawing angle can be adjusted until the additional button for drawing these straight lines is released, would be immensly helpful for fine lineart, as the resulting line can be previewed and adjusted. Would be a great addition to the current draw from dab to dab.
  • Direct slider option for width, opacity, flow and hardness in the brush toolbar: Option display the sliders without the need of clicking the drop down option to display the sliders
  • Scale slider for the UI: Something I have noticed on the work with high dpi-monitors, is that the UI is appearing pretty small. That would be very helpful also if these apps are used on high dpi smaller monitors like a surface pro.
  • Re-sizeable dockers: More flexibility to set up your workspace
  • Brush performance improvements
  • Photoshop Plugin Compatibility for photoshop panels
Edited by petr0m

I like these suggestions, especially a line preview for straight lines and a color box/ wheel version would be very helpful. For me, the combination of a color wheel with a rectangle and the option to display additional sliders for lightness and saturation (so that I can see both sliders at once) would be perfect.

20 hours ago, cosmiccomputer said:

I just picked up photo and was wondering, if you're drawing in photo is it normal behavior for the brush to appear jagged/blurry and then clear up after a few seconds? This makes drawing really difficult 😕

I have never seen such issue when drawing/ using brushes in affinity photo. Maybe you are referring to the brush preview, you can disable it at preferences--> user inferfaceimage.png.25a1e10b7bc53b06dd589e6774bff41d.png

Maybe try to disable it and see if that clears it up. It might be worth to alter some settings in the performance tab.

Regarding the Colour Picker Tool, I think there a couple of things missing on that list. I know of at least two things that need to be added/fixed:

1) The Colour Picker Tool settings do not affect the colour picker for the Brush Tool when pressing alt. You can't set it to Current Layer or change the Radius for the Colour Picker Tool and then get that to work with the alt colour picker for the other tools. This is how Photoshop does it and I hope it gets added in Affinity.

2) The Flood Fill Tool lacks an alt colour picker. Why? The Gradient Tool has it, so why not this tool?

• 2 weeks later...

I have just found the exact behaviour I would want for the brush tool as well. For the Feehand Selection Tool you can draw straight lines, which also have a preview if you hold down the shift key. This would be great to have such a feature to draw staight lines, with the brush tool with as well having a kind of preview where the line will land. I would love a option to toggle between the normal point to point behaviour to the behaviour described here.

On 4/24/2020 at 5:55 PM, Frozen Death Knight said:

Regarding the Colour Picker Tool, I think there a couple of things missing on that list. I know of at least two things that need to be added/fixed:

1) The Colour Picker Tool settings do not affect the colour picker for the Brush Tool when pressing alt. You can't set it to Current Layer or change the Radius for the Colour Picker Tool and then get that to work with the alt colour picker for the other tools. This is how Photoshop does it and I hope it gets added in Affinity.

2) The Flood Fill Tool lacks an alt colour picker. Why? The Gradient Tool has it, so why not this tool?

These are both very important things

Also I don't know if this thread is right to have color selection docker suggestions but I would love to be able display color wheel and sliders at the same time