You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have a Canon PowerShot SX70 which produces CR3 raw file. 

All these images here are screenshots of at the default zoom level (~16.2%).

It took this photo of a Quince flower. Here is the image as loaded into the Develop persona:

Initial.png.23abc45c75183d4ec8fb05da83ffa3f6.png

And here it is after some adjustment of the exposure to increase the brightness without over exposing the pale petals (keeping the right edge of the histogram just off the right-hand edge).

Developed.png.ffcebfeb254d05da1b4cd2433c06b5be.png

The petals are fine, but the rest of the image looks a bit dark, but that does not bother me.

When I then click on Develop, I get this: 

Final.png.826b2b3a282dea176286700d9ce0f5bd.png

The petals look rather over-exposed, but the background leave are now well exposed.

If I chose not to apply the tone curve, I get the final image like this:

NoToneCurve.png.d2fbaf94edf1297ca60f38957685b39b.png

which looks fine for exposure, but seems rather flat.

The jpg image produced by the camera looks like this:

CameraJpg.png.1b7550734bf93cf3452550cd61747cbf.png

I actually prefer this last one in terms of contrast and exposure, but I am surprised that I cannot get my raw development to look like this. Any suggestions?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 9:47 AM, Lee D said:

Can you provide a link to the file so I can do some testing?

Thanks, @Lee D Here is the original CR3  from the camera:

Qince04.cr3

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

John, your file is correctly presented in Develop Persona (using Serif Labs raw engine) on macOS - see screenshot below of raw without adjustment.

The Develop Persona works in floating point 32 bits per channel RGB mode and the app can fail to correctly perform display colour management in that mode on some Windows machines.

First thing to do is ensure that ICC Display Transform actually is enabled in the 32-bit Preview panel. If it was already enabled, then the display colour management problem is affecting you.

This isn't really an acceptable workaround until the bug is fixed, but look at the Navigator panel of Develop Persona: it should look approximately correct even when the document view is unmanaged.

I have read a report of someone triggering correct display colour management by simply minimising the app to the task bar and then expanding it again, so give that a try.

dev.thumb.png.9fbf72724503ad284bdd6112f77b2e67.png

This second screenshot is with Unmanaged selected in 32-bit Preview panel. If you get that appearance when ICC Display Transform is enabled, then the app is failing to perform the display transform.

devunmanaged.thumb.png.6f7297dcb92d6fe168c1d6537f131dc0.png

@John Rostron

I have no idea about the reason for this (!) but when I open your RAW in both the latest beta and release versions I see the same as what @anon2 shows.

Screenshots, Beta first then release.

Jeff

ScreenShot00681.jpg

ScreenShot00682.jpg

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

1 hour ago, emmrecs01 said:

I have no idea about the reason for this (!) but when I open your RAW in both the latest beta and release versions I see the same as what @anon2 shows.

You are fortunate to have a Windows computer where AP correctly manages the display when the app is working in 32 bits per channel mode. There have been many recent reports of the problem that John is having. It seems much more prevalent in the 1.8.x versions of the app than earlier, but that may just reflect the growing userbase.

@anon2, @emmrecs01,

Thanks for the comments. I have had my Canon SX70 about the same time as Photo 1.8.3 so I have no other to compare my images with. I will explore your suggestions and report back.

John