You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer Blend Mode Passthrough does not work

Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 - Windows 10

Steps to Reproduce

• create a red filled rectangle (the colour does not matter, just for simple showing the effect)
  • duplicate this rectangle
  • create a Recolour Adjustment Layer (it is created as adjustment for just on rectangle)
  • change the properties of the Recolour Adjustment Layer to Green (the colour does not matter, just for simple showing the effect)
  • in the layers panel drag & drop the Recolour Adjustment Layer to the top
  • --> the recolour adjustment is applied to both rectangles as expected
  • now group the Recolour Adjustment Layer with the upper rectangle
  • no set the blend mode of the group

Blend mode "normal" - only the upper rectangle is recoloured as expected

Blend mode "pass through" - both rectangles should be recoloured.

There are also one more issues with blend modes and a group containing only a"Recolour Adjustment Layer": recolour is only applied within the actual document borders - so the bleed area is not effected.

Note: neither the used colours (red, green) nor the used object (rectangle) is important, I've used them to simplify the example.

Thanks, Christian

PS: Also reproducible with Affinity Publisher 1.8.4.648 Beta

@Gabe

I don't think that is is the expected behaviour: because

1. the blend mode "pass through" would be the same as "normal" (At least I do not see a difference - please describe the difference between the two modes)
  2. in Adobe Photoshop it works - so importing into Affinity (Photo) corrupts the document.

I've attached the original .psd file, the screenshots of the Photoshop and the screenshot of Affinity Photo

Thanks,  Christian

passthrough-photoshop.jpg

passthrough-affinity-photo.jpg

passthrough.psd

Hi Christian,

You are not quite right (and I've made the same mistake) in describing the unusual behaviour of Passthrough as being the same as Normal when the group contains a mixture of live filter/adjustments and other types of object. True, in that scenario, the live filters/adjustments fail to affect objects below the group; however, the other objects in the group do have their blend mode honoured in blending with objects below the group. If these other objects in the group have Normal blend mode, then yes, Affinity's Passthrough becomes identical to Normal.

To make Passthrough behave the same as in Photoshop, put a page-sized white vector Rectangle or Pixel object with Multiply blend mode (or a black one with Add or Screen blend mode) as the lowest object in the Passthrough group. In Affinity Photo, a Fill object can be used instead of a Rectangle or Pixel object.