You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apply master repeatedly crashes app

Created a new master page by duplicating an existing one and then adding an element (hyperlink).  Apply the new master to existing page, first go around it works, second time the app crashes every time.  Doesn't matter if, on the page icon, I right click and choose 'apply master' or if I drag the new master onto the page.  EVERY TIME it crashes.

Pub: 1.8.3 OS 10.15.4

To add... 

App newly opened:  

• apply master to one page = works.  Then apply same master to another page = crash.
  • apply master to >1 page = crashes immediately 

So only way forward is to add to one page, save, close, reopen, repeat.  Can anyone say 'tedious'?

• Staff

Hi @Dampsquid,

I can't reproduce this from scratch at the moment, I've created a new single and non single facing page doc, duplicated the default master and applied a hyperlink and then right click and choose "Apply Master to Pages" (you only mention using Apply Master which applied to master pages not pages, but I've tried both) and specify a couple of pages in the document and it doesn't crash on multiple attempts.

Can you reproduce this from a blank document or just the one you are working from?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Hi Jon

So I took the offending doc, deleted a bunch of pages and replaced real text with generated text... and guess what... it doesn't crash!  I have uploaded a crash report, is that in itself useful?  I am reluctant to share the file itself as it's not intended for a public audience.

By the way, I tried the same operation on a different Mac running  Publisher 1.8.1  (also OS 10.15.4) and it crashes there too.

• Staff

The above link can only be viewed by Serif staff. It will be useful to see the file as it might be related to it and if we can't reproduce the crash it's quite challenging for the developers to fix.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• 2 weeks later...

Publisher crashes when trying to change master on multiple pages using "apply maste", "even" or "odd" pages results in immediate crash. Changin master on a single page works fine. Since I am working on a fairly long document (200+ pages) this feature is really important. A recovery file is generated, but (logically) just takes me back to before the incident.

Win 10 ver. 1909

Publisher ver 1.8.3.641

3 hours ago, Alan Douglas said:

Publisher crashes when trying to change master on multiple pages using "apply maste", "even" or "odd" pages results in immediate crash. Changin master on a single page works fine. Since I am working on a fairly long document (200+ pages) this feature is really important. A recovery file is generated, but (logically) just takes me back to before the incident.

Win 10 ver. 1909

Alan, you posted to the macOS forum. You might consider to hide this your thread and restart it new in the Windows forum.

Here, in macOS, I don't get crashes or issues with applying an additional or replacing an existing master on odd pages only of a 264 pages document (text only, linked text frames), regardless whether the new master is a facing spread or a single page. Also I can replace a master including different page dimensions.

Besides mac/win: Could it be related to any complexity of the existing page content and/or your migration settings? For instance, are there objects positioned on the spine and therefore touching both sides of your spreads, odd + even, which might confuse the process?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1