You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What should they do if they do not have any of the apps & are seeking pre-purchase information, for example which app(s) would be best for some specific kind of work or the update/upgrade policy?

Whatever the method, you still seem to be asking for some sort of mandatory picking of both an app & an OS as a requirement to be allowed to start a topic.

News and Information?  

May I inquiry your resistance to modify current form request and such alarm?  I read your post for over a year now on this subject and your reasons stated many times with cross platform info, additional knowledge gained, etc. I’m not disputing your point of view; however, many others desire to separate the current thread by application.  They want to subscribe to Affinity Photo only, for example.  They don’t want to scroll through 20 questions to see the first AP question, it’s really that simple, a matter of choice.  I thought my suggestion adding application and OS would allow a path to improve current format, allowing all to scroll faster, looking for key trigger words like Publisher and Windows match.  It does not change users ability to read each post.  

I just filled in a one page form to get a free Procreate brush.  I complied because I wanted the brush. 

I offered, I thought, a means to improve the initial user request.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

9 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

How does it prove that you understand the meaning of this word? The fact that you can find it on the Internet (bravo) does not mean that you fully understand its meaning and the difference between what others suggest.

This proves for example your conclusion 

which no one ever spoke or suggested.

I did, in my initial suggestion, used the word mandatory; however, it was used to imply that if the forum changed their format, one would have to click applicable application and OS.  In this case, it would be mandatory for user to continue. 

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

2 minutes ago, Cecil said:

I’m not disputing your point of view; however, many others desire to separate the current thread by application.  They want to subscribe to Affinity Photo only, for example.  They don’t want to scroll through 20 questions to see the first AP question, it’s really that simple, a matter of choice.

They have the choice of searching the forum (& the rest of the internet) for topics related to using various features of AP. That will often include topics about how to use those same features in AD or APub, but so what? If something works the same in all the apps (& a huge number of features do) why would that be a problem?

It would be different if the apps did not include so many of the same tools, Studio panels, & other UI features, or used different native file formats, but they do, even to the point of each of them including File menu items to edit a document in the other two. Because of this, any scheme to separate topics by application (and/or desktop OS) would obscure the fact that in reality they are far more alike than they are different, & that they have been designed from the beginning to maximize that affinity they have for each other.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

scheme to separate topics

The main point I made throughout my discussion was totally against separation of thread, by applications/OS.  It was not a scheme, it was adding the application and OS, by clickable fly out if possible, to the initial new topic, within the current Desktop thread.  This was to provide a method to scroll through topics of interest for those that frequently request the current thread be separated by application.  What if it to death, spell check and grammar it to death, but please don’t suggest I schemed to separate the thread.  

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

would obscure the fact that in reality they are far more alike than they are different, & that they have been designed from the beginning to maximize that affinity they have for each other.

I don’t disagree...I don’t totally agree or have the number/% of Affinity users that own 1, 2 or 3 of the applications.  I’m not disagreeing with your personal logic, I’m not agreeing that the majority agree or disagree.  I do see both sides of the coin and suggested a change.  I compare it to the severe weather this weekend, resulting in over 30 deaths in US...Texas - Nc.  All SE states were advised to ensure their Weather Radio, cell phones, and tablets notifications were on.  Your suggestion, not a scheme, was to insist Alaska, California....do the same, as weather is information and weather applicable to all 50 states. Some individuals choose not...choice.  

I would suggest if a user owns single app and their choice is limited to one Desktop (MAC & Windows) Questions & Answers thread, their interest may be limited to one specific app. They are part of Affinity family and forum.

Cecil 

19 minutes ago, Cecil said:

What if it to death, spell check and grammar it to death, but please don’t suggest I schemed to separate the thread.  

I meant "scheme" as in the #1 noun sense here.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

28 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I meant "scheme" as in the #1 noun sense here.

So I have a choice of: “visionary or impractical project”, I think visionary. It’s all about choice.

Cecil 

12 minutes ago, Cecil said:

So I have a choice of: “visionary or impractical project”, I think visionary. 

The #1 sense is "a plan, design, or program of action to be followed; project." See also the synonyms in the "course of action" tab here.

IOW, I just used the word as a general, non-specific way to suggest a proposal, arrangement, design, & so on. I was not in any way suggesting there was any subterfuge, deception, or underhanded about your or any of the other suggestions.

Affinity Photo 

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

The #1 sense is "a plan, design, or program of action to be followed; project." See also the synonyms in the "course of action" tab here.

IOW, I just used the word as a general, non-specific way to suggest a proposal, arrangement, design, & so on. I was not in any way suggesting there was any subterfuge, deception, or underhanded about your or any of the other suggestions.

Well I did see that you stated #1 as noun, as you did, but you added to original to separate, which my suggestion doesn’t, identify by application/OS 100% agree.

Cecil 

On 4/14/2020 at 12:12 PM, Dan C said:

I can't comment on the splitting of the forums, as this is not a decision I can make - however I personally believe keeping the forums a common space would work best - perhaps with further tagging & search functionalities so that specific users can choose to filter, if they wish.

Hi @Dan C

Personally, I also don't think it is appropriate to break Questions forum by application. Therefore, I suggested adding the Create form to guide users to provide important information, that will contribute to an easier and faster response, or allow others to filter posts according to their interest.

Modifying the form is certainly not easy (external product), and therefore a possible way to respond to numerous comments/request from users is to add additional threads/groups according to specific topics.

For example:

- Basic/common Questions, for questions type "why white is yellow", "install error", "Help!!!", "is possible install Mac version to Windows", etc.

- Tematic Questions (Photography, Illustrations, Design, Publishing, Printing, Export, ...), for questions focused on specific activities and works.

Obviously, as today, there will be queries in the wrong threads, but moderators can fix this and hold specific forums by topic.

Thanks

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

I decided to make an image, from screen shot, demonstrating my suggestion of adding the application/OS.  As I stated yesterday, this was not intended to separate the current forum structure by applications, or loss of any post for all Affinity products. Suggestion would allow forum users to easily identify application, OS and determination of interest. Text is larger than necessary as I wanted to highlight change. 1950049924_ScreenShot2020-04-16at11_13_59AM.thumb.png.4e498bb39cabe0b537b9012082df6609.png

Cecil 

4 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Modifying the form is certainly not easy (external product), and therefore a possible way to respond to numerous comments/request from users is to add additional threads according to specific topics.

Maybe I am just being dense, but I am not sure what you mean about adding additional threads. Do you mean adding sub-forums for basic questions & for various thematic issues, or maybe 'master' topics created by the hosts, or something else?

Affinity Photo 

3 hours ago, Cecil said:

Suggestion would allow forum users to easily identify application, OS and determination of interest.

Would this allow OP's to somehow indicate that their question or issue was a generic one applicable to more than one of the apps, or that they were unsure which app(s) it was most applicable to?

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Would this allow OP's to somehow indicate that their question or issue was a generic one applicable to more than one of the apps, or that they were unsure which app(s) it was most applicable to?

Depends on how Serif would implement menu/fly outs, one for each app, one for all and if necessary the OS could also include All option.  I’m not hung up on the details of implementation, I would like to see something similar to my post that identifies the application/OS or improvements in the sequence.

The case could be made for PR reason, sales, etc., to create a thread that would cater to those that did not own, had general questions on which app most appropriate for their need(s), license(s) policy for each OS, etc.  I see many forums that create a topic just to cover these subjects.  Those with knowledge could direct them to the appropriate tutorials, current topics specific to their question and offer their advice.  I’m positive you could contribute more on areas I missed.  I think it’s impossible to cover every possible situation. I have seen some users confused “Title” and used their name or email address or something similar, it happens and is understandable. 

Cecil 

I haven't read all the above; or very much of the above (sorry); but I totally agree there needs to be 3 separate groups for the 3 programs and possible a general group . 
If I had it my way i would likely break AP in photo editing ; and designing like work. Perhaps then I would offer more time helping answering photo editing related questions  where I can .
After thought --- A big help without extra groups would be the insistence that every heading starts with the program name and perhaps the tool in question .

I have often had the feeling that basic and lighter advanced photo editing in Affinity Photo has been somewhat overshadowed by far more advanced edits  .  

So, as it has inevitably happened in the other topics about this, we have now reached the point in this one where the addition of some kind of an "all" or "general" app classification has been suggested to cover questions that are not specifically about any one app (so 4 possible app classifications), & maybe also some way to indicate if they are specific to Mac, Windows, or both (so 3 possible OS classifications).

So depending on the particulars of how that is done, there could be as many as a dozen ways to classify a topic.

In addition or as an alternative to that (which is not clear), some have suggested some method of classifying topics thematically, like for original design work vs. image retouching or other image editing tasks, end uses (print, web page elements, whatever), or anything else that enough users might consider thematically distinct to deserve its own category.

Regardless of which of these you might favor, consider what it would be like from the standpoint of a person looking for support who has little or no experience using any of the Affinity apps, & quite possibly even very little general knowledge of graphics editing concepts. We were all that person once, so what would your reaction be if faced with having to make any of these choices before you were allowed to post your question?

Affinity Photo 

On 4/13/2020 at 10:03 AM, John Rostron said:

This has been posed many times before. The view from Serif seems to be that the commonality of the three Apps requires a common forum. Many users, including myself, dissent from this. You will find that there are many messages posted here both for and against the proposal.

@R C-RWe were all that person once, so what would your reaction be if faced with having to make any of these choices before you were allowed to post your question?

Many post, comments and suggestions concerning this topic.  As John Rostron states Serif see commonality of the three Apps requires a common form, I agree.  I suggested a slight modification to assist the common complaint that Users imply they do not wish to see all the post common to this thread, only ones they find applicable to their program.  This is difficult will limited identification in initial post.  A simple modification would maintain the forum, as is, with the exception of adding application/OS to Title and Question.  This would allow users to identify immediately if the post applied to their application, OS or interest.  I see no major flaws in guiding a new users in suggested forum change.

Bottom line is if Serif determines the forum will remain as is, this thread and many more to come will remain a hot topic.  If the forum users stand divided, Serif will continue, IMHO, to ignore our post. 

Cecil 

1 hour ago, Cecil said:

I suggested a slight modification to assist the common complaint that Users imply they do not wish to see all the post common to this thread, only ones they find applicable to their program.

Your 'slight' modification would require (mandate, force, etc.) people to choose from a predefined list of apps & of OS's to be permitted to start a topic. Some of them may never have used any of the Affinity apps (or possibly never used any graphics app at all) & thus have no clue about which app to choose, or feel that their topic is intended to apply equally well to all the apps and/or both OS's & want that to be obvious.

How specifically do you think your 'slight' modification should provide for these possibilities? Just ignore them?

What about those who want to see some sort of thematic distinction instead of, or in addition to, one based only on app or on app + OS? Would your 'slight' modification provide for that? If so, how?

Beyond all that, these proposals imply that their purpose is to somehow enable forum users to 'subscribe' to or otherwise restrict topics to only those of interest to them. Even ignoring that a great many topics do not (& will never) fit neatly into just one of these taxonomic classifications, how would your or any of the other proposals actually achieve that purpose without considerably more than just a single slight modification to the forum software?

Affinity Photo 

On 4/13/2020 at 10:03 AM, John Rostron said:

This has been posed many times before. The view from Serif seems to be that the commonality of the three Apps requires a common forum. Many users, including myself, dissent from this. You will find that there are many messages posted here both for and against the proposal.

@R C-R there is no perfect solution that will suffice to end this discussion, that satisfies all forum users.  Serif will, if deemed necessary, consider opinions expressed and determined appropriate course of action.  I must confess a feeling of guilt and selfishness for wasting my time in this discussion, as thousands have died from the virus, deprived of saying their final goodbye to their love ones. Thousands in nursing homes, separated from seeing their love ones, many unable to understand why they have been quarantine.  I count my blessings.  Be safe.

Cecil 

14 hours ago, Cecil said:

@R C-R there is no perfect solution that will suffice to end this discussion, that satisfies all forum users.  Serif will, if deemed necessary, consider opinions expressed and determined appropriate course of action.  I must confess a feeling of guilt and selfishness for wasting my time in this discussion, as thousands have died from the virus, deprived of saying their final goodbye to their love ones. Thousands in nursing homes, separated from seeing their love ones, many unable to understand why they have been quarantine.  I count my blessings.  Be safe.

"there is no perfect solution that will suffice to end this discussion, that satisfies all forum users" 
yes there is; MY solution  🤣

Perhaps time to close the thread ;) ??? 

5 hours ago, ianrb said:

Perhaps time to close the thread ;) ??? 

Waite a week or two and another will emerge with their thematic distinction  and taxonomic classifications.

Cecil 

7 minutes ago, Cecil said:

Waite a week or two and another will emerge with their thematic distinction  and taxonomic classifications.

Yes, & eventually there will be the same variety of suggestions about the best way to designate topics by app, OS, and/or thematic classifications.

Affinity Photo 

This valuable discussion has made clear the assumptions, principles, and logic behind the organization of the Affinity on Desktop Questions forum. 

Following that logic, I now understand how users looking for Affinity product tutorials are forced by Serif to choose from a predefined list of apps and OS's when in fact they have no idea which app to choose to accomplish their purposes. Indeed, there are frequent questions about the difficulty of making that very choice.

How much better if tutorials were all placed in one undifferentiated list following the example of the Questions Forum. 

Such an arrangement of the tutorials would emphasize the extraordinary commonality of the apps, which Serif sees as the major selling point for its apps. A single list would eliminate the confusion created by dividing the tutorials into arbitrary categories and sub-categories.

Affinity Photo 2.4.1 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060