You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A friend of mine mentioned he could just start Affinity Suite, and then select Photo, Designer and Publisher from within the same app/GUI.

I assume that's not possible for me, as I have Designer and Photo via the Mac App Store and Publisher as standalone ... (?) :)

(If I recall correctly from a FAQ or something a while back, I can't just switch to standalone licences for all apps.)

The Affinity suite is run from Publisher, you should have each of the apps logo’s in the top left of the Publisher screen, from those you can select to launch the Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer personas.
145894164_ScreenShot2020-04-13at09_40_13.png.f82cfc454da85d196cea458225488f06.png

You can still use the Edit In... option in each App. For example: File > Edit In Designer.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, flips said:

I assume that's not possible for me, as I have Designer and Photo via the Mac App Store and Publisher as standalone ... (?)

First, the feature of APub that enables its Designer & Photo personas if you also have those apps installed is called StudioLink. There are several video tutorials that demonstrate how it works.

Anyway, if by "standalone" you mean you bought APub from the Affinity Store & the other two from the Mac App Store, that is what I did too. StudioLink works fine for me & it should for you as well.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The only slight downside is that you can't use other Personas - eg if you place an image in a document in Publisher and then edit the image with the Photo Persona, you don't have access to Develop, Liquify or Tone Map. It's not a huge issue though really.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

1 minute ago, h_d said:

The only slight downside is that you can't use other Personas - eg if you place an image in a document in Publisher and then edit the image with the Photo Persona, you don't have access to Develop, Liquify or Tone Map.

But of course you can still use the "Edit in Photo..." File menu item to access features of that app that are not supported via StudioLink. The default is to open Photo to the current page, but for multipage documents the navigator at the bottom left corner of the Status bar makes it possible to go to any of its pages.

984687512_pagenavbuttons.png.510aabbbe6936f7b7c2669a1c553799b.png

I have never tested this by trying to add a RAW image to an APub document via Photo's Develop persona, so I am not sure if that would work.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

I have never tested this by trying to add a RAW image to an APub document

I have, briefly. The Develop Persona requires an RGB pixel layer, so your original Publisher document also has to be RGB, and you have to rasterise the original Image layer. World of pain...

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

23 minutes ago, h_d said:

I have, briefly. The Develop Persona requires an RGB pixel layer, so your original Publisher document also has to be RGB, and you have to rasterise the original Image layer. World of pain...

I thought that maybe using File > Open in Photo to add a RAW image to the current a page would work, first by opening it in the Develop Persona & developing it, thus turning it into a rasterized layer which would then appear in the page's layer stack. Are you saying that does not work?

Affinity Photo 

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Are you saying that does not work?

If I understand you correctly, then I don't think it does, and I wouldn't really expect it to.

If I open a Publisher document, then Edit in Photo, then Open a Raw file from Photo's File menu, the Raw file is opened independently in the Develop Persona, not added to the Publisher doc.

It doesn't appear in the Publisher document's layer stack, even after pressing Develop. I've basically got two separate files open in Photo - the Publisher page and the Raw image. 

Just now, h_d said:

It doesn't appear in the Publisher document's layer stack, even after pressing Develop. I've basically got two separate files open in Photo - the Publisher page and the Raw image. 

OK, that makes sense, but couldn't you copy the developed file's layer, switch to the file with the current page & paste it into that page's layer stack?

If that works, the developed file could just be closed without saving it.

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

couldn't you copy the developed file's layer, switch to the file with the current page & paste it into that page's layer stack?

Yes, that does work. But you can do it without having the Publisher page open in Photo. Just copy and paste from one app to the other.