You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Snap to grid not working in 1.8.3

I could swear I used to do this but I haven't been using Affinity for more than a few months. I think I used to do this in Photoshop also. You mean I can't set a 32x32 grid and make the selection snap to it?

Here's another bug with grids which just happened.

1562407670_ScreenShot2020-04-15at3_23_11PM.png.b848f1fa633f47cf4cdc61d3014e5381.png

• Staff

Hi GenericPtr,
Yes. You are NOT able to create a grid and use it as reference to create precise pixel selections through snapping. As said above pixel selections only snap to guides, not grids.

Regarding the grid misalignment in your screenshot (i believe that's what you are referring to), do you mind attaching the afphoto file for us to check please? Thanks.

I'm also having an issue with snapping, although it's probably not the same as the above. But ever since the upgrade, I have not been able to snap an object accurately into place as I used to, but have to spend a lot of time 'fiddling' with the mouse to get the object just where I want it. I don't know if something has been changed in the settings in the upgrade or not because I have never really had to change anything there before. I would click snapping on or off as my needs called for it and use the default which suited me. But now, just to make a simple array of boxes takes me 4 or 5 times longer than it usually does and I can't work out why or how to put it right.

If you can see the image I've included, what I get is a slight misalignment which is hard to correct because it simply won't snap into place as it used to, and after doing so many the operation becomes really tedious and annoying. I'd like to know what I'm missing here too. 

snapping2.JPG

32 minutes ago, Gort said:

If you can see the image I've included, what I get is a slight misalignment which is hard to correct because it simply won't snap into place as it used to, and after doing so many the operation becomes really tedious and annoying. I'd like to know what I'm missing here too. 

Can you provide that document, or another with the same problem, for us to look at?

My guess, at this point, is that it is snapping, but you have so many objects close together that it is not easy to get it to snap to the one you want. I'm thinking of all those closely-spaced vertical lines. But I would need to have the file to play with to confirm that, or make any suggestions.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1