You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just watched the video, I presume was released last year, about the new Studiolink.  LINK - https://affinityspotlight.com/article/focus-on-studiolink/

At 6 min and 20 seconds, the presenter proceeds to clip a blurred image with a square set over a text box.  This leaves the entire picture unblurred and only the area under the box is blurred.

I have gone through that video step by step and cannot reproduce the effect he achieves. every time I attempt to clip the image with the box, I am left with just the blurred image inside the box and the rest of the image disappears.

I am using Windows 10 and Publisher 1.83.642 (latest release), Designer and Photo are also of the same release, the presenter however is using a Mac, does Publisher perform so differently on a Mac that you cannot obtain the same results on a Windows machine?

Capture.JPG

I have been able to achieve the desired results in a round about fashion.

In Photo Persona, I selected the image, then using a live filter, blurred the entire picture.  I then moved the box blur and placed it above the picture in the stack.  then I drew the rectangle and clipped that to the picture.  In Publisher persona, I selected the box blur and under the Layer menu, I selected Arrange/Move Inside. This placed the box blur under the image but the result was no different than before, still just a blurred rectangle and most of the image hidden.  I then however dragged the rectangle into the box blur and low and behold, it clipped as it should and the rest of the image became clear, leaving just the blur in the rectangle.

Not as simple as in the video but the result turned out to be the same.

Thanks for any assistance offered.

4 hours ago, AnaliseThis said:

I have tried again and no matter what I try, I cannot get the rectangle to nest inside the box blur.

I have attached two screen shots, one of the videos layer stack and my layer stack after trying to clip the rectangle to the blur.

Video layer Stack.JPG

My Layer Stack.JPG

Your screenshots reveal where the problem was. In the video, the blur was clip-nested in the picture frame, but you had the blur mask-nested in the picture frame.

Unfortunately, the current implementation of the Layers panel annoyingly does not allow us to nest an object inside a currently mask-nested object; the result is a series of mask-nested objects instead of deeper nesting when we try to do that. A workaround, as you discovered, is to first un-mask-nest the mask-nested object and then re-mask-nest it after nesting something inside it.

However, there is no problem with nesting an object inside a currently clip-nested object, and that's why the deeper nesting was done so easily in the video.

Here's a short video to explain the different nesting: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/318402519