You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Freezes when CRTL+Z

Hi there! I am currently attempting to move to affinity designer as I am looking for more tools than painttool Sai had to offer but photoshop was expensive, a friend raved about it to me so here I am.

Firstly, whenever I hit crtl+z the software freezes. It has to be killed with task manager to escape and happens every time I try to use the command. I've taken a recording and also a screen capture of the list of affinity processes. I'm really liking the software but this issue is downright crippling.

edit: after some further muddling I found it only does this if I crtl+z the first line made?

https://youtu.be/3SQ3iq8-4i4 (screen recording of a crash)

https://imgur.com/a/JTUYmaw (screen cap of processes)

secondly, the software defaults to not having the pressure controller turned on and I'm not sure how to make that the default.

Edited by oddballAstronomer

Hi @oddballAstronomer and welcome to the forum,

I think you may have discovered a variant of a bug I reported a few weeks back…

I have just tried both your process and the one I originally described, in the latest bets 1.8.4.467 and both worked just fine.

At the current rate I would imagine 1.8.4 will be released within a few weeks, or you could use the beta now. It will install in parallel with the retail edition.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

8 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

Hi @oddballAstronomer and welcome to the forum,

I think you may have discovered a variant of a bug I reported a few weeks back…

I have just tried both your process and the one I originally described, in the latest bets 1.8.4.467 and both worked just fine.

At the current rate I would imagine 1.8.4 will be released within a few weeks, or you could use the beta now. It will install in parallel with the retail edition.

Should I report it as well? it definetly behaves similarly. I seem to coast fine as long as I don't do it on the first line.

The release notes for the latest Beta (https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/112354-affinity-designer-windows-customer-beta-184647/ ) say…

• Fixed crash with Appearance panel after using Ctrl+Z on vector brush input 

So I am pretty confident the issue has been solved. I don't think you need to report any more than you've already done.

I've been using Designer for several years now, and these crashing bugs are few and far between in my experience. I think you just got unlucky!

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• Staff

Hi oddballAstronomer,

As Aammppaa has said definitely give this a try in the 1.8.4 beta where the issue should be fixed - if it is still an issue for you come back and let us know!

Also love the ickle Cloud! You should definitely post him in Share Your Work when you've finished!

7 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi oddballAstronomer,

As Aammppaa has said definitely give this a try in the 1.8.4 beta where the issue should be fixed - if it is still an issue for you come back and let us know!

Also love the ickle Cloud! You should definitely post him in Share Your Work when you've finished!

Aw thank you @Sean P

New user question, how do I download the beta, I can't find it TT_TT