You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to reuse logo mark in different documents?

I was wondering what the best approach is to use a logo mark in different Designer documents? I  have made a lovely logo of a drawn face and now I want to make some custom alternative designs of logo with different text. What's the best practice to handle it? I don't really want copy paste the logo design in each document. I would like it to pick up changes in the draw face Design document so these changes get reflected in all designs. I noticed I can place a document in a designer document but these seems to get embedded. Do I need to make my designs in Publisher?

You can try to create an asset with your logo.
You can then use this asset in all your documents and modify the text according to the document.
If you already know what changes will be made to the text you can create an asset for each logo in advance, then just use the asset corresponding to its document.
However, the change will not be done automatically in all documents.

Neither Assets nor Symbols seem to be a good fit for @alienfruit's request.

As I understand it, they want something where they can have the drawing in multiple documents, and where changes to the drawing will be applied to those various documents automatically.

Assets are static. Yes, the drawing could be made into an Asset, and added to various documents. And later if the drawing is changed the Asset could be replaced. But each document would have to be updated manually.

Symbols can change, but they are specific to a document, and intended more for the case where something occurs multiple times within one document.

Symbols can be put into the Assets panel, but again they will be static across documents.

The only case allowing some form of automatic update across documents is using Publisher, with a linked file, probably best with a linked .afdesign or .afphoto file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It's not what I understand. They want to test aternatives with different fonts and texts. And depending of this, perhaps they'll want to alter the drawing to fit better with the font(s).
And depending the different uses, perhaps they'll need to adapt again to fit smaller sizes, simpler forms, etc.

For this, using symbols and AD is better, since you can test on symbols and have different artboards for letters, business card, envelope, etc.

2020-04-13_175819.png.b682d4337e8a90cb9241e49e7ee0b23c.png

It can be interesting to have all in AD, since it's easier to look at and move them, than looking at different size pages in APub.
I used a general items view we can find on some sites, but it's interesting to have artboards as symbols too… (not the easiest to manage). If we've got APub, we can keep on working in AD and place those artboards in another document, using a trick to get the artboards as linked files that will update easily*.

Artboards as symbols:

2020-04-13_184533.png.1e78d151d883312c0fa938d59a99bc3f.png2020-04-13_184726.png.d0c26a5fa191d012ed319e335683afdd.png

Artboards imported in another file and linked via APub:

2020-04-13_191740.thumb.png.256b979cfd3a92794509d5caf6c4fec5.png

It's interesting this way, since we can have different "Test" files with symbols, and a different "General" file with the artboards imported.

* Trick when placing Artboard in an AD document. If you want the artoards to update when the original file is modified: place your artboards in a new document (they'll be embedded). Close this document, and open it in APub. In APub, replace them and select "linked" option, or link them using the Ressources panel. Close the document, and open it again in AD: next time you modify the original document, the artboards will be updated.

Thank you for your replies both are correct. I have one file Logomark.afdesign and then I want to make a few more files like Logo+text V1, Logo+Text V2, Logo Sticker V1, Logo Sticker V2 in all these files I want to be able to  link my Logomark.afdesign and when I have made a change Logomark.afdesign. I want to be able to see the changes in the other files. So far I only see Publisher have this functionality but it feels a bit weird to need to use a page layout app for this.

My understanding of symbols is that they are contained in the afdesign file? Last time I tried this the symbols were gone when I made a new Blank Designer document. I have the feeling that Illustrator was capable to do this but  it has been many years ago I have used it.

18 minutes ago, alienfruit said:

Last time I tried this the symbols were gone when I made a new Blank Designer document

If you want to use a symbol in another document, you just need to copy one of the symbol and paste it in another document: it'll appear in the Symbols panel.

41 minutes ago, alienfruit said:

My understanding of symbols is that they are contained in the afdesign file?

Related to Designer, in simple terms, assets are globally available building blocks that you can use in all of your illustrations / drawings. Symbols in contrast here are only available in the document in which you created them. - Another possibility is to use instead embedded logo files, which also should keep up then the view of any made logo changes. However, a space saving real linking is AFAIK just (more or less) supported by Publisher so far, meaning the other Affinity apps only support embedding other docs.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2