You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.8.3 Always Crashes when Creating New Files

1. Are you using the latest release version? Yes, 1.8.3
  2. Can you reproduce it? Yes
  3. Does it happen for a new document? Yes

It happens 100% of the time so feel free to let me know how to create a log and submit fore review.

BTW, same thing happening in Designer and Publisher.

Cheers.

@loyukfai

Serif needs a lot more info.

1. What Windows version are your running?
  2. Did you purchase from Serif or MS store?
  3. Are the apps installed on the default root drive, C , or some other drive. 
  4. If installed on some other drive, is it a network, or USB drive?
  5. Provide a detailed description of the steps to replicate the problem.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

1. What Windows version are your running?
    Windows 10 Pro 1909 build 18363.752 

2. Did you purchase from Serif or MS store?
    Serif

3. Are the apps installed on the default root drive, C , or some other drive. 
    C

4. If installed on some other drive, is it a network, or USB drive?
    N/A

5. Provide a detailed description of the steps to replicate the problem.
    Start the program, click File, click New, choose any option, app freezes, kills app with Task Manager

• Staff

Hey loyukfai,

First, make sure you don't have any of these apps installed - https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/44770-issues-caused-by-third-party-software/

Second, please make sure your graphics drivers are fully up to date. We usually recommend uninstalling them and then doing a clean install of the graphics card drivers as opposed to updating over the top.

• Staff

Thanks for trying.

Did this start happening after updating form an older version? If so, what version?

Or did it start happening randomly with an existing install of 1.8.3?

Crash logs should be stored in - %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports or %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Store)\CrashReports

The programs seem to somehow fixed themselves after I opened an existing JPG (in Affinity Photo). Now creating new files work just fine.

No other updates installed in these few days AFAIK, besides new anti-virus definitions.

FYI, %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports was checked but nothing interesting.

Cheers.

• Staff
12 minutes ago, loyukfai said:

The programs seem to somehow fixed themselves after I opened an existing JPG (in Affinity Photo). Now creating new files work just fine.

That sounds odd but I have a strange feeling I've heard that before.

Please monitor it and reply here if it keeps happening. Thanks :) 

• Staff
1 hour ago, loyukfai said:

Thanks a lot.

Meanwhile, can you take a look at the below thread? Some of us Asian users have been waiting for it since the beginning... Sorry I don't know where to better raise the issue and there is no PM function in this forum.

The bug has been logged and updated as it has been found to affect new updates. Unfortunately, QA and the support staff have little influence when it comes to deciding what the developers fix. 

It is always better to update the original thread when you notice it hasn't been fixed in an update. I'm sorry this hasn't been resolved. 

On 4/14/2020 at 4:37 PM, Chris B said:

That sounds odd but I have a strange feeling I've heard that before.

Please monitor it and reply here if it keeps happening. Thanks :) 

Unfortunately the problem has returned, and now opening existing files results in freezes and crashes as well. Makes me wonder last time was a fluke...

Checked %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports but only the files options.json and settings.dat have been modified, and they don't seem to contain any traces whatosever.

Any suggestion?

OK, I created a dump file from Task Manager, can you provide a secure way for sending it to you? It's about ~1.46GB in size.

OK, I might have found out the culprit, when my machine is connected to the dock, the apps will freeze creating or opening files.

Tried creating a new file in Photo when the dock is connected, the app froze as expected, then I disconnected the dock, new file created immediately.

This dock is giving me a lot of headache recently after the latest driver update......

Thanks for the going along with me, gotta talk to the right party.  

Cheers.

Edited by loyukfai