You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 1.8.4 changes fonts on imported PDFs, won't print under PDF/X-4

Hi,

I'm testing beta version 1.8.4 for a magazine that goes to print. Most advertisers send their ads as PDFs. Unfortunatley, under version 1.8.4 when I put a pdf advert, Publisher changes the fonts, and under PDF/X-4 document won't print if there are sans serif fonts like Futura on a PDF image.

Under Pub 1.7.3 I never had problem with PDF ads (although it tended to squash some of the fonts it couldn't read).

Also, can't notice difference of quality under JPEG comprssion 85 or NEW default 98. Under 98 compression the PDF document is three to four times heavier than under 85. Again, image quality is exactly the same in both cases.

5 hours ago, Nebulosa said:

won't print if there are sans serif fonts like Futura

That could also be a known issue with old Type 1 (Postscript) fonts and not related to your PDF import.

To export those fonts you can either convert them to curves before (Toolbar) , or during export (Export > More).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I have Futura fonts as part of my fonts form my font files in my computer. I never had problems with this under 1.7.3, and now with 1.8 it is a problem if you want to convert a pdf file under PDF/X-4. Again, this didn't happen wunder 1.7.3. So, I acn't use PDF/X-4 under 1.8, but another pdf setting instead. Why?

This general issue has been around since the original beta. If you do not need to edit the text in the PDF at all I would say best practice would be to outline all the fonts. If you have Acrobat Pro it is super simple. 

Sounds like you have had issues with this as you said yourself "Under Pub 1.7.3 I never had problem with PDF ads (although it tended to squash some of the fonts it couldn't read)." Squashing the fonts, changing them in any way is a deal breaker and why I do not use Publisher outside of trying things out, it is no replacement for Indesign yet. You may get around it with installed fonts this time, but any new PDF ad you get you are going to be fighting again with font issues. I would suggest (again if you do not need to edit the text) getting all the fonts outlined and then placing them in Publisher. 

For the time being I am converting pdf Ads to tiff in Photoshop. However, with an ad I created and for which I have the fonts, worked in 1.7.3, and doesn't work anymore with 1.8. So for the time being I'm only working under 1.7.3. And after using Adobe software for 30 years, I am not going back to renting it and paying it all over again. That's why I've switched over to Affinity. However, for the time being I am not upgrading to 1.8, as I have had no problems with Affinity under 1.7.3, aside of squashing some unknown fonts on imported pdfs.