You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scaling bug with layer as global clone source

If you create a new layer and paint something smallish in the middle of it, and then create a global source using that layer, when you then go to clone that source onto another layer it works except that the scale is massively stretched (depending on how much of the canvas you initially painted into inside the source layer).

One workaround I've found is to make sure to paint a little bit of scrap material into the extreme corners of the global source layer first, then the dodgy stretching doesn't happen.

I'm trying to do something close to what's shown in this video, seems like a pretty good workflow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWEPFWkqM68

Cheers, Jules

It was reported a few years ago but nothing was changed.

I generally just use Edit > Matte (Opacity 1%) on the intended global source layer to get around the problem quickly

PS Not sure that cloning is the best way to achieve what is shown in that video

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Possible by creating a brush but I suspect someone else may be able to advise you better (not really the stuff I do everyday)

Edit: No longer relevant as it was clarified which part of the video the OP was trying to recreate

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Sorry I meant to clarify that I'm particularly talking about the second half of the video where he builds up the tree from a template ball of foliage. He clones different parts of the foliage and stamps them around the place. Also he uses different brushes for the cloning shape as he goes along, which makes nice rough/leafy edges no matter which part of the foliage the clone is coming from.