You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Clone brush doesn't work

Alt + Click sets the clone source, click drag will paint from that source to where ever you are painting.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

24 minutes ago, RDT said:

I did Alt + Click but nothing happened. I've watched the tutorial and read the help text but I'm still stumped.

Alt + Click should give you a sampling target that looks like a + sign, e.g.,
image.png.1357ff9b3fa066758e86fd7507ed4059.png

Are you sure you have a (Pixel) layer selected in the Layers panel?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, RDT said:

I get a little cross inside the circle but it moves with the cursor instead of staying put.

It is supposed to move, just like in the video. Watch it again carefully -- beginning at about the 1 minute mark you can clearly see it move.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for all the replies. However, in the video the cloned flower moves with the cursor until the cursor is clicked and the flower placed in the desired location. When I do it there is nothing cloned, the circle remains empty except for the little cross.

4 minutes ago, RDT said:

Thanks for all the replies. However, in the video the cloned flower moves with the cursor until the cursor is clicked and the flower placed in the desired location. When I do it there is nothing cloned, the circle remains empty except for the little cross.

After you have done the Alt+Click to set the cloning source point, when you move the brush (without clicking/dragging; just move it) do you see anything in the brush preview circle?

You should see a preview of what will be cloned. If not, something is wrong.

I got Photo into that state last night while I was playing around trying to figure out your problem. I don't know what was wrong, but the brush circle remained empty. I solved it by duplicating the pixel layer I had selected. But I don't know what was actually wrong, as before and after the duplication I had a pixel layer selected, and had selected the clone source point.

It might also have worked to close and reopen Photo, or to close the file I was working on and reopen.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

You're welcome. It shouldn't be needed, though :(

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 year later...

I’m having the same problem as RDT. The the clone brush tool works only intermittently, with no apparent reason why it stops working. After option-clicking on the source pixels, when click-dragging the brush preview circle, it simply shows the pixels at the position where it’s located, rather than showing the source pixels, so nothing is cloned. I’ve tried duplicating the background layer, and adding pixel layers, to no avail. Closing and re-opening the document or quitting Affinity Photo and relaunching it don't help either.

13 minutes ago, quitenewtothis said:

After option-clicking on the source pixels,

Do you have a Pixel layer selected in the Layers panel? Not an Image Layer, but a Pixel layer. Is this layer the topmost in the layers panel?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

5 minutes ago, quitenewtothis said:

I create a pixel layer first, to clone non-destructively, make that the "active" layer and select "current layer & below". I've tried putting this layer just above the background layer and as the topmost layer — same result.

And is your background layer a (Pixel) layer in the Layers panel?

Next: What are the brush settings in the Context Toolbar, and what Brush do you have selected in the Brushes panel?

-- Walt
PC:

7 minutes ago, quitenewtothis said:

I just use the default brush for the tool and only adjust the size.

There is no "default brush for the tool" in my experience. If you've been using the Paintbrush Tool previously, it's whatever brush you last used.

If you haven't used a brush during the current application session, sometimes it seems to me that no brush is selected at all. The Clone Brush Tool is a brush, and thus you should select a Brush from the Brushes panel when you want to use it. Otherwise the results will be quite unpredictable.

-- Walt
PC:

3 minutes ago, quitenewtothis said:

I just use the default brush for the tool and only adjust the size.

Unless you have set the "Associated Tool" item in one of the brush presets to use that tool, like Walt said there is no default brush for the Clone brush tool. So we still need to know what brush you are using & what are the brush settings you see in the Context toolbar.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

And.... make sure you don't have a pixel selection active when you are working.

Occasionally when I am using the Stamp/Clone tool I will have the brush's source outside of the area of the pixel layer and therefor I am just cloning empty space.

When I used the clone tool initially, the only parameters I modified were the diameter of the preview circle and the hardness. I did not select a specific associated tool or brush. In the Affinity Photo help manual, under the “Using the Clone and Healing Brush tools”, item #3 states "The tool uses a soft-round brush by default." I assume that explains why the tool functioned initially. As I mentioned previously, it stopped functioning for no apparent reason. When I did select a brush, it started working again. However, when I returned to the "no associated tool” setting and deselected the brush, it continued functioning. In other words, when the tool works, it does so regardless of whether a specific brush is selected or not. As I continued trying out the tool, I noticed other issues. I've been using 100% opacity and usually, the target pixels are completely replaced by the source pixels. However, occasionally it looks like there's an overlay between the two, judging from the color, which I assume means that the cloning is not 100% opaque. Finally, normally the source marker (the + sign) moves exactly at the same speed as the preview circle and therefore always maintains the same relative position to the latter. All of a sudden, the source selector has started moving much more quickly than the preview circle, which causes it to rapidly leave the area that I want to clone.

3 hours ago, quitenewtothis said:

In the Affinity Photo help manual, under the “Using the Clone and Healing Brush tools”, item #3 states "The tool uses a soft-round brush by default."

I am not sure but I think what that means is the first time you use the brush it is set to a soft round one, but if you change it to any other one, that is the brush it will keep using until/unless you change to another one. Regardless, it could be a lot clearer about that!

Finally, normally the source marker (the + sign) moves exactly at the same speed as the preview circle and therefore always maintains the same relative position to the latter. All of a sudden, the source selector has started moving much more quickly than the preview circle, which causes it to rapidly leave the area that I want to clone.

That sounds like the Scale setting in the Context toolbar has been changed. If you don't see a "Scale:" item there, it means the workspace window is too narrow for all the context toolbar items to fit, so to see it you need to click on the ">>" icon to open a small submenu with popups for setting scale, flip, & whatever else won't fit.

However, when I returned to the "no associated tool” setting and deselected the brush, it continued functioning. In other words, when the tool works, it does so regardless of whether a specific brush is selected or not.

How did you 'deselect the brush'? Since it is the Clone Brush Tool, it always must use a brush, so setting "no associated tool” for any brush preset does not deselect whatever brush that tool was last using.

Affinity Photo 

• 11 months later...
12 hours ago, DougChoz said:

I had this problem until I discovered that I had opacity set to ZERO. ☹️

Change opacity to 100% and your problem will "disappear". 😁

How often have we all done that. Usually I put the fist through the screen and discover my mistake after buying a new screen 🤣 .. Not quite that bad but  ......