You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Clone brush doesn't work

The auto setting of Clone Brush set to Soft - is not actual. When Tool is selected it is alway hard edge - Zero Opacity - and the auto Soft edge brush always need resetting to required size for delicate (Clone retouching) - It increasing production time when processing many images - Wondering if this has beed addressed in V2 - Irun V1 in all three at the moment on desk top - as I am still concerned about the bugs I have read on this forum.

12 hours ago, Denis Taylor said:

Wondering if this has beed [sic] addressed in V2 - Irun V1 in all three at the moment on desk top - as I am still concerned about the bugs I have read on this forum.

You could install the free 30-day trials and test things out. You have nothing to lose.

To say 'I visit here and see bugs, so everything must be wrong' is like saying 'I visit a hospital and see sick people, so everyone must be ill.'

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

On 2/3/2023 at 5:30 AM, Denis Taylor said:

The auto setting of Clone Brush set to Soft - is not actual. When Tool is selected it is alway hard edge - Zero Opacity - and the auto Soft edge brush always need resetting to required size for delicate (Clone retouching)

The Clone Brush Toolis a brush, and like other brush tools it will remember the last settings you used, even across application restarts. And in general that means that when you start a new project you should pick the brush (from the Brushes panel) and the settings (from the Context Toolbar) that you want to use.

One sometimes confusing factor, though, depends on the settings you have established. In this case, particularly those in the Assistant Panel (View > Assistant Manager in V1, or in Preferences in V2). There is a setting there for Brush Tool Sharing. I think you might prefer it set to No Sharing:

image.png.8c167f17231d9d1737870427aa144357.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2020 at 1:49 AM, Old Bruce said:

Alt + Click sets the clone source, click drag will paint from that source to where ever you are painting.

I did all this but it’s not cloning  I tried doing so with the picture being the only layer showing and with opacity set to 100%  

what can I try now? this has never happened before. 

1 hour ago, Jonathanlyon said:

what can I try now? this has never happened before. 

A screenshot of the complete application window, with the Layers panel visible, and the Clone Brush Tool selected, would help.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1