You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bounding box visible

HarryW

When placing smaller images into existing multi-layer Photo image, I sometimes see the frame edges visible as annoying thin white lines (sometimes dashed). I have tried copying and pasting, using  File: Place, or dragging icon, but nothing seems to help. See attached JPEG, note line between red arrows. It doesn't seem to happen consistently, varying from one placed image to another; remains after import into Photoshop. I cure it using Inpainting brush tool but should I need to do this? Use is for large, fine art print.

Late 2012 Mac Mini, 16 GB Ram, OS 10.14.6. Affinity Photo 1.8.3 intended to replace Photoshop CS6.

frame edge.jpg

On your Depth Pixel layer there is a line on the farthest righthand edge and also along the bottom. This is a single pixel wide.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi Old Bruce,

I don't recall ever making such a line. I copied the layer, made a new document "From Clipboard," and put down a black layer underneath. Viewing it at greater than 1 pixel size, I finally found it when I moved the image using the Move Tool. Is this a result of sloppy cropping technique? When I crop this image, I still get a new single-pixel white line. Is there a panel somewhere that I can use to eliminate what is apparently a white (or no color) 1-pixel stroke?

I tried going to Filers:Colors:Erase White Paper and this seems to have helped with both instances. If I were using other software, I would have suspected that I had included a white stroke and generally it's an easy matter to remove it. Is there any panel in Affinity Photo that deals with fill and stroke of placed image frames?

Gabe, I could re-do the process and I think Apple's screen capture might do the job, but going to File:Colors:Erase White Paper has seemed to cure the issue on this job.

"Integer" has been mentioned a couple of times in responses and after searching "integer vs. float" I dimly understand that it might have to do with interpolation after sizing my cropped, placed images. I've been placing images since early versions of Photoshop in the 1990s and never ran into this problem until this particular file in Affinity Photo. I'm trying to extricate myself from Adobe software on account of their subscription deal and Apple's issue with 32 vs. 64 bit software (e.g. Mac OS 10.15 and InDesign) and I suspect that I'm not the only one doing it.

Is "Erase White Paper" a good way to deal with this in the future? Will Affinity come up with a solution?

See attached screen grab file.

• Staff

Hi HarryW,
The problem is there's more data (in the canvas area around the image - not visible) that's causing the thin line issue you are seeing. After inserting the file, double-click the object on canvas to edit the embedded document in a new tab, then right-click on the layer and select Rasterise & Trim to get rid of that data around the canvas. Close the embedded document tab and check the original document where it was embedded. It should display correctly now.

If you want to see what's around the canvas area in the embedded document: with the embedded document tab opened go to menu Document > Unclip Canvas. if you select the layer before applying the Unclip Canvas command with the Move Tool and zoom out enough you should also see that the layer's boundary is much larger than the canvas.

Erase white paper is not a good solution for this because it also deletes the white parts of the image and turns the mid-tones semi-transparent.

I just tried placing the item (Depth.afp), sizing it, then doing Rasterize & Trim. See attached video and note that the white boundary lines persist.

My latest version of this piece now has a white background, so the issue is moot. Still, it's bothering me enough that I don't want this happening again in the future.

• Staff

Hi HarryW,
You have to apply the command Rasterise & Trim to the background layer inside the embedded object, NOT to the embedded object itself.

To edit the embedded object (after you place it on your main file), double-click the object on canvas to open the embedded document in a new document tab, then right-click on the background layer and select Rasterise & Trim to get rid of that data around the canvas. Close the embedded document tab and check the original document where it was embedded (it should have been updated to reflect the changes  - no more white line).

Check the attached clip (animated GIF):

embedded_document_editing.gif

Hi MEB,

Sorry to misunderstand… I think I have it right now, and the line has disappeared.

Thank  you for persisting, and also thanks to Gabe, Old Bruce, and Frank Jonen for helping out.

• Staff

Hi Harry,

No worries.
If you want to see/understand what was around the canvas area in the embedded document (that we get rid off by rasterising and trimming): with the original document opened (not the fixed/corrected one), double-click the embedded object to open it in a new document tab, then go to menu Document > Unclip Canvas. You should now see all the data that was surrounding the canvas area. Here's a small clip:

unclip_canvas.gif