You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Desktop Designer: Hex input box displays red error border

Hi, simple issue - trying to add any hex colour to the hex input box and it outlines the input box in red border and colours the background red indicating an error. Any colours at all eg:

#ffffff

#48c7dd

etc. and refuses to save the new colour. Is this a recent bug? Happens with any file I try to edit. I've been using ipad pro recently so this is the first time I've opened affinity designer desktop in a while. 

error.png

This works fine for me on Windows (see attached image).
Which colour space is the document working in? I’m not an expert in this area but the colours you are trying to set may not be within the gamut of the colour space, or something like that.
If you can attach a screen grab of your “Preferences/Colour” dialog and of your “Document Setup/Colour” dialog then someone who knows more about these things should be able to help.

Annotation 2020-04-11 094334.png

Both of your dialogs look like mine (the defaults, as far as I know) so I can’t see any problem there.
Unfortunately it looks like you might need to wait for an expert to come along.
Would you be able to share the document? Just in case it’s a document-thing rather than a set-up-thing.

I'm seeing the same red "error" text as @JessBundy (MacOS 10.15, Designer 1.8.3). However, if I type a value into the hex input box and then press enter or tab on the keyboard, the colour is set and saved, with the final character obscured:

I'm also seeing some odd behaviour with tooltips using the picker (visible in video) in the Green and combined input boxes. Very strange...

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

• Staff

Hi JessBundy,

Thanks for letting us know. The red highlighting is a Mac only feature and is intended to let users know when certain things cannot be input into a field. However in this case the highlighting shouldn't be appearing. I'll get this passed onto development.

• 11 months later...

I'm seeing this on my Mac as well. I'm running Affinity Publisher 1.9.3 on Mojave 10.14.6. Trying to enter anything into the hex field of the color chooser results in red highlighting on either some or all of the characters, but pressing enter adopts the selected color with no issue. Has this been resolved?