You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am having an annoying issue on Windows 10. I use Wacom intuos M. I did not have this problem before Affinity 1.8.x

So, when Windows Ink is disabled in Wacom Properties, no brush in pixel persona has pressure. They work like charm once I enable Windows Ink. Now in Designer persona, Windows Ink doesn't let me draw sharp nodes while using pen tool. They are all smooth node and I have to click Alt to convert each of them to sharp node while drawing. (Before 1.8.x, I only had to click/tap on a  smooth node to turn it to a sharp node).

The issue solves when Windows Ink is disabled. But then the brushes won't work.

I need both my brushes to work normally and also draw sharp nodes. Any solution?

By default in 1.8 and above the Affinity applications use Windows Ink. In 1.8 there was no choice but to use Windows Ink if you wanted pressure support. But in 1.8.2 or 1.8.3 Serif provided a Preference under Tools whether to use Windows Ink or not.

Perhaps you want to set it to not use Windows Ink?

(From Photo, but should be similar in Designer): image.png.f463a45542ad39e935df0de12913861e.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

By default in 1.8 and above the Affinity applications use Windows Ink. In 1.8 there was no choice but to use Windows Ink if you wanted pressure support. But in 1.8.2 or 1.8.3 Serif provided a Preference under Tools whether to use Windows Ink or not.

Perhaps you want to set it to not use Windows Ink?

(From Photo, but should be similar in Designer): image.png.f463a45542ad39e935df0de12913861e.png

Yes disabling it kind of solved my problem. And my brush inputs are also recognizing pressure still with it disabled. I don't notice anything yet, but what difference is happening now that is windows ink is off?

With Windows Ink support off, the brush position cannot be determined as accurately as with it on.

Other than that, I don't know what you lose by not using Windows Ink. But from comments by you and others losing a bit of accuracy may be better than losing the other functions that break with that support.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 10 months later...

Still the same on 1.9. Have to have Windows Ink enabled on my Huion tablet settings for pressure to work. This is weird given I have Designer "Tablet Input Method" set to use "low precision" and NOT "Windows Ink" in Designer.

I really don't understand why my Huion tablet works fine in Affinity Photo with windows ink turned off in the tablet settings, yet refuses to work in Designer with it off.

Turning Windows Ink on in my tablet settings makes it work in Designer, irrespective of what I have "Tablet Input Method" set to.

Feels like a bug to be honest.

On 2/17/2021 at 3:13 PM, Alex W said:

Still the same on 1.9. Have to have Windows Ink enabled on my Huion tablet settings for pressure to work. This is weird given I have Designer "Tablet Input Method" set to use "low precision" and NOT "Windows Ink" in Designer.

I really don't understand why my Huion tablet works fine in Affinity Photo with windows ink turned off in the tablet settings, yet refuses to work in Designer with it off.

Turning Windows Ink on in my tablet settings makes it work in Designer, irrespective of what I have "Tablet Input Method" set to.

Feels like a bug to be honest.

did you set the controller from none to brush defaults? works for me on huion

Screenshot 2021-02-19 111010.jpg

I did. I also tried using "pressure" as well just in case. It works fine so long as I have Windows Ink enabled in my tablet driver settings, whereas Affinity Photo works fine with it off.

Does your tablet have Windows Ink enable (assuming it has a setting to turn it on or off)?

yes vector brush tool + controller at brush defaults or controller at pressure to force on brushes without pressure control

if i set low precision or high precision in AD, windows ink is forced off in AD no matter if i turn it on or off in driver. for example rightclick by tip and hold, doesnt work anymore. the slider or brush size laggin is gone too. but if i switch to windows ink in AD, then the driver setting is turning it on or off, where off disables pen pressure. so i have set to low precision but left ink on in driver, so i can use rightclick by holding on desktop. high precision feels best but breakes my strokes. q620m with latest driver, AF and AD version 1.9

So probably the same as me then. Vector brush pen pressure does work, but only if Windows Ink is enabled in the tablet driver.

Seems wrong to me that AD would require Windows Ink to be turned on in the tablet driver if it is set to NOT use Windows Ink in the preferences. 

i think you misunderstood me. i can set the ink off in driver and still use pressure, when setting AD to low/high precision. pen pressure only doesnt work, when setting AD to windows ink + turning it off in driver. so with low precisionm setting in AD you should have pen pressure, no matter if you turn ink on or off in driver.