You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I have the sony a6400 and for some reason affinity is displaying the colors way too dark. The Windows preview shows the image in the right colors and also of course the sony memories app. I attached a picture for it.

I guess it has nothing to do with the camera settings since other apps can handle it.

This problem is driving me crazy and i already resetted Affinity with the CRTL method.

The upload is not taking png's and the error when uploading is -200 (Maybe change that?).. Not very helpful so i had to convert is to jpg for the upload..

Sry the interface is in german but i guess you know where it all is.

Test.jpg

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

So i tried

-reinstall

-Check if it has something to do with HDR monitor -> Dont have one

-Resetting the color profile..

One thing i found is even though i disabled the HDR mode in the assistent and selected RGB (16bit) in the bottom right corner in the info panel its saying: RGBA /32 (HDR)

Is it because its from a continuous shoot?

I use the official release for it maybe its because i have picture profiles enabled? But its raw sony format so they should not get saved in the file..

EDIT: I did now every solution on the link, i dont worry i googled it before and tried some stuff..

Edited by DarkKnight
Did more

So great.. I found it out but it odd for a program that seems to be able to develop raw images it can't handle picture profiles from a camera.

The PROBLEM is that a raw image shoot with the camera with no picture profile is read correctly. Just like the preview in other softwares.. When i apply a profile (Gamma: S-Log3 an Color Mode: S-Gamut3) it reading the file without the profile?

Is this intended? Because the pictures imported with the slog3 profile cant really be used because affinity is showing them too dark to the point of losing information. Only in the native sony editor can work with it and i haven't tried any other raw application...

So i should only shoot in raw without any picture profile enabled? I usally do only videos in slog and so and it is odd to me that the video editors can work with slog footage and the picture editors can not. I know the internal process is a bit different but still.

Edited by DarkKnight

I use the picture profile from my camera. It seems to change the raw file and affinity has problems to read it correctly ( I have read that even lightroom can't read them correctly)

The camera is new and I used it a lot for video, so I thought using these picture profiles could help even on images..no they don't increase the dynamic range on images.. I turned them off now in camera for pictures and the images are normal

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem with RAW files(CR3) being too dark.  I can load the same file in PhotoShop 2020, Lightroom, Luminar 4, FastStone Image Viewer and it is brighter, the Histogram is normal as compared to how it looked on the camera(Canon EOS R CR3 file).  In Affinity the Histogram is scrunched down to the left at least 1.4 stops low.  I've had to start using PS to properly process my RAW files, shouldn't have to do this.  I've looked thru many threads here, reset everything, installed the latest beta, set my display to sRGB color profile, made sure Affinity was using sRGB... I do not have a newer graphics card or monitor, otherwards I do not have HDR capability.  I've read that someone posted to simply raise the exposure level and add a tone curve, etc...  why?  Should not have to do that, Affinity should be able to read the RAW file just like other programs.  

Edited by KJ2020

Welcome to the Affinity forums!

1 hour ago, KJ2020 said:

I've read that someone posted to simply raise the exposure level and add a tone curve, etc...  why?

Because, in that specific case, that was the solution. There have been different "too dark" problems with different solutions (sometimes a bug fix has been needed).

You could try the most recent beta of AP - https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/32-beta-software-forums/

If you prefer not to do that or it doesn't solve the problem, then post a zip file containing both a CR3 file and a screenshot of AP with that CR3 opened in Develop Persona and with the Navigator panel visible at bottom right.

anon2, 

For what it is worth, I found some old CR2 RAW files and they develop correctly when compared to Photoshop and Luminar 4, histogram is the same, lighting is the same...  Seems to be just my CR3 RAW files that are affected.