You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reset bounding box permantly

Hello!

I have one problem with Affinity Designer.

I draw an object and then I rotate it to 30 degree. At 0 degree I have object fulfill the rectangle bounding box. But at 30 degree my selection bounding box rotate follow the object and I don't want that behavior. Can I set the bounding box is still rectangle along vertical and horizontal of screen. If bounding box is not reset to normal rectangle, when I group object to another object my new object will not fulfill my selection bounding box.

Help me please!

Thank you so much!

Am I correct in assuming that you have this:

1914766595_ScreenShot2020-04-10at10_16_40AM.png.e8c00feb96aca5055aea7ce042bbccd3.png

But you want this:

1611723998_ScreenShot2020-04-10at10_16_51AM.png.1797f709272d417759e9d08d13f0d2ee.png

===================

If I am correct in my assumption then the easiest way is to group the single rotated object, doing so will give you the second image's bounding box.

335302648_ScreenShot2020-04-10at10_19_32AM.png.dd212868ec7a422add7a178648636445.png

Edit to add: Welcome to the forums, Duc Vu.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

39 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Am I correct in assuming that you have this:

1914766595_ScreenShot2020-04-10at10_16_40AM.png.e8c00feb96aca5055aea7ce042bbccd3.png

But you want this:

1611723998_ScreenShot2020-04-10at10_16_51AM.png.1797f709272d417759e9d08d13f0d2ee.png

===================

If I am correct in my assumption then the easiest way is to group the single rotated object, doing so will give you the second image's bounding box.

335302648_ScreenShot2020-04-10at10_19_32AM.png.dd212868ec7a422add7a178648636445.png

Edit to add: Welcome to the forums, Duc Vu.

That is cleary resolved my problem. Really simple way.

Thank you so much Old Bruce! 

12 minutes ago, G13RL said:

Hello Duc Vu,

In addition to what Old Bruce said, see if the Cycle Selection Box button can help you.

Selection box.gif

I also did this way but when I deselect and select object again, it is still unwanted behavior. 

The way of Old Bruce solved my problem.

Thank you for supporting!

Another option if you want to permanently reset the bounding box of object ‘A’ is to draw out another shape, let’s call it ‘B’, over the top of ‘A’ that completely covers it.
Now select both objects A & B and use the boolean option 'Intersect'.
Object A’s bounding box will now be reset.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

28 minutes ago, markw said:

Another option if you want to permanently reset the bounding box of object ‘A’ is to draw out another shape, let’s call it ‘B’, over the top of ‘A’ that completely covers it.
Now select both objects A & B and use the boolean option 'Intersect'.
Object A’s bounding box will now be reset.

A variant of this method is to start by making object ‘B’ smaller than object ‘A’ and completely enclosed by it. Then select both objects and use the Boolean option ‘Add’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

12 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Or simply "Add" (with itself)

Interesting. I would never have guessed that you could select a single object, and use Layer > Geometry > Add on it. Thanks!

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, haakoo said:

Or simply "Add" (with itself)

Wow!!! I don't think anybody else, staff included, has ever mentioned this. Well done!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Interesting. I would never have guessed that you could select a single object, and use Layer > Geometry > Add on it. Thanks!

That's a great workaround indeed! BTW, you can also directly hit the Boolean 'ADD' button with the object selected.

If it is so simple to reset the boundingbox like this... than perhaps Affinity could make a shortcut for this that's called 'Reset boundingbox'?

[Edit] Oh no, that would probably not be such a great idea, as using the boolean / geometry tools probably change the shape/nodes/

13 minutes ago, wigglepixel said:

probably change the shape/nodes/

4 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Wat bedoel je met de nodes,ik zie geen verschil

A vector shape object gets converted to curves with a boolean action: the button "Convert to Curves" disappears from the toolbar and its layer type gets auto-renamed ("Curve"). That way for instance a Picture Frame loses some of its editable frame properties.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

14 hours ago, haakoo said:

Proberen is leren = Dutch for trying is learning 😉

That is such good advice that you should consider adding it to your sig.

It also would be a great slogan for a t-shirt, a wall plaque, a bumper sticker, etc. 👍

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

25 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Maarten dat is dezelfde functie als ik voorstelde 😀
Wat bedoel je met de nodes,ik zie geen verschil

I reacted to Walt's Layer --> Geometry --> Add. Thought that was a long way for just pressing the boolean Add. I understand now you already mentioned that before. Great workaround @haakoo!

About nodes not changing: I'm not sure about that. When we combine different shapes with a boolean add a lot of times the nodes change or new nodes are added / nodes are removed. Also when not really needed. What I mean by changing nodes is that I'm not sure if boolean adding itself to itself don't cause the shape to change or nodes to have rounding-errors after this boolean operation. If these are really boolean operations in code they shouldn't, but I am not so sure about that and just to reset a bounding box that could be a risky workaround.

12 minutes ago, thomaso said:

A vector shape object gets converted to curves with a boolean action: the button "Convert to Curves" disappears from the toolbar and its layer type gets auto-renamed ("Curve"). That way for instance a Picture Frame loses some of its editable frame properties

Also that conversion indeed. We make a change in the layout here, just to reset the boundingbox. That's not what I would like to see when just resetting the boudingbox.

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

A vector shape object gets converted to curves with a boolean action: the button "Convert to Curves" disappears from the toolbar and its layer type gets auto-renamed ("Curve"). That way for instance a Picture Frame loses some of its editable frame properties.

True, but the OP was specifically asking about Designer, which doesn't have Picture Frames (unless created by or copied from Publisher) :)

But it's a good point. And it applies to any of the methods we've mentioned to permanently reset the bounding box. All (I think) end up converting the object to a (Curve) layer.

Talking about Publisher and Picture Frames, as long as you do the Add (or whatever) before you place an image into the frame, you can use Layer > Convert to Picture Frame afterward to get the frame back.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, haakoo said:

A pictureframe is like a group

25 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Talking about Publisher and Picture Frames, as long as you do the Add (or whatever) before you place an image into the frame, you can use Layer > Convert to Picture Frame afterward to get the frame back.

Indeed, bad example. And, ah, nice hint, too, Thank you! I haven't noticed that a Picture Frame can get re-assigned after converted for any reason.

For Designer: those nice options for Shape Tool objects do get lost with the boolean "add", e.g. the 5 red handles in a cog shape ... and those can't be re-assigned at any later moment, even if the shape isn't altered manually, – right?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 minute ago, thomaso said:

For Designer: those nice options for Shape Tool objects do get lost with the boolean "add", e.g. the 5 red handles in a cog shape ... and those can't be re-assigned at any later moment, even if the shape isn't altered manually, – right?

Right. You lose any special attributes associated with the shapes if they are converted to curves.

It would be nice to have a true "Reset Bounding Box Permanently" that did not have these undesirable side-effects.

-- Walt
PC: