You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.8.3 Copying an Artboard causes crash

Same here. Attached you can find an AF file to reproduce the issue, as well as the macOS generated crash report. Using version 1.8.3 from the App Store on macOS 10.15.3

How to reproduce:

1. Open attached AF file crashdemo.afdesign
  2. Select Artboard.
  3. Use cmd + c keyboard shortcut to copy the Artboard to the clipboard.
  4. Affinity Designer should now crash.

Unfortunately this happens very often lately, on different documents, ranging from small and simple ones to very large documents.

crashdemo.afdesign.zip crashreport.txt

Right now I have a Trial Key since I want to test out this application. So far I enjoy it and would like to convert from Adobe Illustrator.

However, anything involving a new artboard or an additional document in my project, the program freezes everything. I do not have access to my finder; I cannot force a quit; I cannot access other open programs. I need to do a hard reboot.

Mac Mini, Mid 2011, 16G Ram, 10.9.5 (hoping to upgrade but waiting regarding Affinity...otherwise, I loose my Adobe products to a subscription-based use and I do not want that)

Thank you.

5 minutes ago, T. Carrier said:

I need to do a hard reboot.

Sorry to hear that, but I can assume that this could be related to a hardware issue (or maybe a system configuration issue). I've used Affinity Designer on many very different Macs, and also Windows machines, and such hard freezes like you explain didn't happen. Anyways I wish you the best in finding a solution.

37 minutes ago, jamespsullivan said:

Sorry to hear that, but I can assume that this could be related to a hardware issue (or maybe a system configuration issue). I've used Affinity Designer on many very different Macs, and also Windows machines, and such hard freezes like you explain didn't happen. Anyways I wish you the best in finding a solution.

I am only experiencing this hard reboot using Designer. Under no other application since I have had owned this hardware (2011) have I had to do this action. Within this day I have had to do 4 using just this application while adding an artboard within the project. Otherwise, I can use Affinity Designer and create an illustration within one artboard in a project.

• Staff
On 4/10/2020 at 3:30 PM, Ringo Starfish said:

At least, this seems to be the case for files created in 1.8.3. The problem does not exist in files that were created in 1.5.

Hi Ringo Starfish,
Would you be able to attach a file that is causing you issues please?

On 4/14/2020 at 9:42 AM, jamespsullivan said:

Same here. Attached you can find an AF file to reproduce the issue, as well as the macOS generated crash report. Using version 1.8.3 from the App Store on macOS 10.15.3

How to reproduce:

1. Open attached AF file crashdemo.afdesign
  2. Select Artboard.
  3. Use cmd + c keyboard shortcut to copy the Artboard to the clipboard.
  4. Affinity Designer should now crash.

Unfortunately this happens very often lately, on different documents, ranging from small and simple ones to very large documents.

crashdemo.afdesign.zip 702.32 kB · 1 download crashreport.txt 87.44 kB · 0 downloads

Hi jamespsullivan,

Do you use a form of Clipboard Management software on your machine (such as Alfred or Paste)? If so, does it stop crashing if you disable or close the manager down? I can only get this crash to happen when using a clipboard manager!

Sean P,

damn I wouldn't have thought of that! There was indeed Keyboard Maestro running, which I solely use to automate keystroke sequences.
Although I did disable any clipboard related functionality in Keyboard Maestro (as far as I could), something seems to happen in the background, which makes AF crash.

What a pity, but a good and quick fix, with which I can live. Kudos to the Affinity team, again, for being super supportive!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sean P,

sorry for answering late. Now that I saw your reply and went back to the file in order to send it to you, I realised the issue is gone. However, the problem existed right after I had updated to version 1.8.3 and immediately created and worked on that file. Now a few system shutdowns and boot ups later as well as an update to macOS 10.15.4 it's working just as it should. I am not using any clipboard management software.

Thank you for your efforts and my apologies for reporting what turns out to be a rather minor problem