You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi. Can anyone advise me on

1. why this file opens up pixelated in Affinity Photo?

2. why it opens normally in Affinity Designer but when I make individual .eps files of each of the images, those individual images open up pixelated again in Affinity Photo?

Much appreciated. Thanks.

ps the same happens when I try to make a .png image with the images from this file.

COLOURBOX29052501.eps

1527116774_Screenshot2020-04-10at19_04_28.thumb.jpg.697c00637c0779ec25a67c8d0a185769.jpg

- open the eps file in Photo

- Document -> resize canvas (opens as 100 x 100; change to 1200 x 1200 for example)

- then use move tool to resize the  artwork

- result

1316512365_epsresize.thumb.png.2a69b137a381bf21e4a80a6ea6fe094f.png

edit:

as others already mention:

- photo is a bitmap editor, so it converts vector curves to pixels.

- Designer is able to export png's so you don't need to use Photo (keep the dpi settings of your export in check), and maybe scale the artwork as a whole

In Designer:

- Switch the view to Pixel to preview the export (View -> View mode -> Pixels)

- File -> Document Setup -> change the width and height of the document (change the dpi settings if necessary)

- Then resize/scale the artwork (the screenshot is in Pixels view mode)

1137223268_epsresize_02.thumb.png.a8aa9fbcf3e060abfaa5d96b94b5653f.png

Hi,

It's because the resolution of this image is low, when you display the rulers and put them in pixels, you'll see the whole image is only 100 × 100 pixels.

In AD it'll look fine since it's showing vectors, but in AP it'll show you pixels, the same as if you had exported this image to JPG or PNG, and since there's few pixels… it's pixelated.

You can check how it looks when exported to pixels, using those icons in AD

2020-04-10_123028.png.055ad71ba142446da3ea6d9cdba73fc0.png

You'll have to enlarge them in AP once opened, or to enlarge them in AD before exporting them (since you can't set a different size when exporting to EPS).

Haha, I was too lazy hitting this submit button!

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

I have a similar issue with the attached file. I am designing a logo for a logo contest in different versions and for an easier overview of the versions in a .pdf I inserted them as .eps (all created from the same .afdesign file) into an affinity publisher document. For some reason, the green eliptical curve behind the letter is the only item that ends up pixelated in the .pdf. Even more confusing is that I have a version of the exact same items in black and white and there the eliptical item is fine, no pixels. This isn't in the file, that I dressed down to just the basics for this forum.

I also inserted a screenshot of the pixelated .eps in Publisher.

Help please! 🥴

grafik.thumb.png.c51fdec200aba66f9deb49019c55f26a.png

Pixel issue with green elipse in eps in Publisher_affinityforums.afdesign

I've just exported your document to PDF and it looks fine to me at 800%.
Can you give us a screenshot showing us your Export Settings? (File -> Export - More Button)

I noticed that your light green ellipse shape is set to 50% Opacity so that might have some adverse effect in certain PDF formats.
I would advise not using Opacity to create a lighter colour; use Tint instead, or just select a lighter colour.
Opacities of less than 100% can sometimes give you problems down the line depending on how you export.

18 hours ago, GarryP said:

I've just exported your document to PDF and it looks fine to me at 800%.
Can you give us a screenshot showing us your Export Settings? (File -> Export - More Button)

I noticed that your light green ellipse shape is set to 50% Opacity so that might have some adverse effect in certain PDF formats.
I would advise not using Opacity to create a lighter colour; use Tint instead, or just select a lighter colour.
Opacities of less than 100% can sometimes give you problems down the line depending on how you export.

Amazing! Thanks so much. The opacity setting solved it. Learned something again. 🙂