Saving a 1-bit black & white graphic

@Finrach, just in case you haven't noticed (older threads might not mention it): In an app update the button "K Only" in the Context Toolbar was invented. If it gets activated you can colourise a 1-bit or grayscale image successfully. Though a 1-bit image appears as RGB image in the Resource Manager it can get colourised and output according to its applied color, e.g. a spot color.

173476503_colorizegrayscale.jpg.9751cba0b7a82b4947099069a94b0032.jpg

While the current v183 still doesn't show transparency as soon such an image gets colourised (but it outputs fine) you might want to use the beta app version which has this UI issue fixed.

macOS 10.14.6, Macbook Pro Retina 15" + Eizo 27" // Affinity preferred in Separated Mode + Merged Windows

The image must be saved with transparent areas. Affinity does not simply output white pixels in images as being transparent (as it also does not for plain, not colourised images).

macOS 10.14.6, Macbook Pro Retina 15" + Eizo 27" // Affinity preferred in Separated Mode + Merged Windows

Thanks, that's helpful. I was hoping for the same kind of control I currently have, where the bitmap image's background/picture background/picture are controllable separately. I can colour the white or the black information or set the white (picture background) to none (transparent). It would be good if Affinity had the same level of control, however I'm glad you showed me the K only button as it's something I can work with in some situations.

1 hour ago, Finrach said:

colour the white or the black information or set the white (picture background) to none (transparent). It would be good if Affinity had the same level of control,

This feature would require 1-bit support by Affinity. That's why I mentioned before "a 1-bit image appears as RGB image in the Resource Manager", or with other words, Affinity treats 1-bit as RGB. – You also can activate the K Only button for coloured RGB images, and colourise them, and the app simply merges the 3 channels. While applied to a CMYK image the app hides CMY and shows K only.