You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo close suddenly

What were you doing?

Do you have a crash report file?

Also, where did you read it was fixed? The Trial and Retail versions are the same code. Did you perhaps read it was fixed in the Beta version?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the reply,

I use it mostly for Focus merging the RAW files, after buying it the amount that software closes suddenly decreased but I still have the issue.

another time I was doing touch up on the photo that it happened.

same problem here, just opened a raw file, placed another raw file, the program keeps crashing, tried several times, latest program version, 32 GB ram

edit: tried again, now it´s not even possible to open/edit a raw file, either it´s visible until you try to do anything (program closure) or it´s closing immediately

Edited by *Dan*

On 4/10/2020 at 5:37 AM, *Dan* said:

just opened a raw file, placed another raw file, the program keeps crashing,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, Dan.

Sorry, but your scenario is unclear to me, Dan.

It sounds like you started by Opening a RAW file. That would put you into the Develop Persona. You can't "place" another file into the Develop Persona, so I presume you clicked the Develop button.

Then, are you saying that you did a File > Place of another RAW file into the Developed file? (That is, as another layer?)

If so, I have a couple of comments:

1. File > Place doesn't work very well, in my experience, for RAW files. It does not go through the same Develop processing as File > Open. Using RAW files was recently improved in File > New Batch Job, but has not been "fixed" yet for any other workflows, as far as I know. At this point, I would suggest that for any use except File > Open or File > New Batch Job you should first Open the RAW file, and Develop it.

2. Next, this does not feel like the same problem as in the original post, which (I think) involved Focus Merging of RAW files. But it's possible it is, as neither is really an intended workflow in Photo at this point, I believe. It might be better to start your own topic, in case it is a different bug. That helps Serif track bugs properly.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

On 4/9/2020 at 11:53 PM, Hooman_g said:

I use it mostly for Focus merging the RAW files,

3 hours ago, Bobbyb said:

tried to focus merge two .CR2 canon raw files

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, Bobby.

Yes, that does sound like it might be the same problem as originally reported by Hooman_g here.

As I mentioned just above in response to Dan, as far as I know, it's not a good idea to try to focus merge RAW images. In my experience they will not go through the same Develop processing as they would if you did Opened them or ran them through a batch job. In my experience using RAW files in other Affinty Photo workflows than those two I have not been happy with the results.

I would suggest that you Open and Develop the files, Export them as TIFF, and do your focus merging with the TIFF files. I think the results should be better that way.

(I will admit, though, that I do not have much experience with focus merging. But I have tried RAW files in various scenarios, and except for File > Open and (now) File > New Batch Job I have not been happy.)

Trying to focus merge some RAW files certainly shouldn't cause a program crash, so there's some kind of bug there. But even if it didn't crash I don't think the results will be as good as you'd get by properly Developing the files first.

-- Walt
PC:

Thanks Walt, exactly what I tried following your first response. Now everything works as expected and your follow up  confirms the right way to go about this process. 

Thanks very much for your quick response as I'm only just getting started with affinity it certainly helps to know there is lots of help about

regards

Bob

You're welcome. Glad it helped.

-- Walt
PC:

Walt, thank you so much for your kind reply and sorry for misunderstanding, lets go through the steps to make it clear:

1. run the program -> you start with the photo persona
  2.  create a new file, e.g. 6000x4000 px (file -new)
  3. select a raw file to place (file-place) and open it
  4.  select a different raw file to place (file-place) and open it
  5. This was the moment the program crashed immediately, I didn´t do much.

But now I´m confused, just tried these steps once again, today it´s working fine

Second scenario:

1. run the program -> you start with the photo persona
  2. select file - open and chose a raw file to open, thats it, the program closed, this works now as well, don´t know why, I didn´t change anything

never experienced a behaviour like this, and in addition, as mentioned above, both scenarios are working today, that´s weird

I will have to watch this, if any other errors occur I will write again.

Thank you and best regards, Dan

You're welcome, Dan.

-- Walt
PC:

• 4 months later...

I'm experiencing the same problem with focus merge.
I'm using tiff files.
Affinity suddenly close. It's very random, it can close just before processing the file, during the focus merge processing or even after it finished the processing and rendered the final image.

I'm wasting so much time over it. It's very frustrating.

ps. I can't find any crash log  in the crash reports folder.. I see only .dmp files.

5 hours ago, Venyer said:

I am experiencing that problem too. It seems that the nvidia drivers doesn't get on well with AP. It seems there is no solution to the problem. It's been months without other solution than downgrade your nvidia graphic drivers to an older version.

I have enabled Warp Engine instead of my GPU and Affinity seems to be more stable.
As far as I understand GPU is used only for the rendering of the images in the viewport?
What am I really missing if I'm not using my GPU with the software?

Hi since last update 1.8.5.703 all 3 apps are crashing and closing all the time. I open any of your apps either designer, photo or publisher and same happens, lets say scenario 1. open designer, import a svg created in illustrator or an ai file, designers load it and then closes, in scenario 2 open a tif exported from capture one and same deal it opens and closes inmediatly, or if they open they can't handle big files or multiple photos at the same time or publisher importing from a text file or importing photos, I have to downres some images from 24pm to 4mp to work fast in designer i'm ok since they are for social posting and they will show smaller but if I have to do posters or any other big print i'm concern that I have to stick with adobe or inkscape.

Please help, I need to close adobe contract by the end of this year and bought affinity apps because they look like a real alternative but with these problems I can't trust them just yet, can i downgrade the version previous to this one was less buggy. 

my pc specs because I don't know what info you guys get from the dmp  file.

AMD FX 8150 8 core 3.6Ghz

32GB Memory ram

Nvidia latest drive 456.38

Nvidia 970gtx 4gb GPU

500 SSD for main drive

120ssd for scratch

internal hdd caviar black 2tb

external usb 3 hdd 4tb x 2

windows 10 pro

version 1903

os build 18362.1082

I know by no standards is a new machine but is way above the regular needs for these apps. 

first crash dmp is photo and second one is designer.

d5b10538-21bb-4b4c-b8e9-0870b3e5074c.dmp 674c777e-0604-453a-b53f-8a78bb6a9ec6.dmp

24 minutes ago, Gabe said:

The only other workaround is to set the Renderer to Warp in Preferences > Performance. 

thank you so much, i chang it from nvidia to wrap and everything is holding so far, no more crashing on startup, I'm also testing the version 1.9 now with the nvidia and they are also holding. thank you so much!!!!!

• 3 months later...